Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Kitchenaid microwave KBHC179JSS03, The unit does not rotate

Kitchenaid microwave KBHC179JSS03, The unit does not rotate when in operation, I replaced the unit at the base that the plate mounts to but it did not work.
The unit works fine except it will not rotate while working.
Any Ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Chris
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

have you checked to see if the turn table motor is getting power? 120 volts?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes I have
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Okay so you replaced the motor and it is getting 120 Volts, did you replace this also?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes I did, I replaced this with the motor.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Okay that's really strange, you say you are getting voltage to the motor which you replaced also you replaced the coupling which is the part above, and yet the turntable will not turn is that what you're saying?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I know, that is why I am trying this before I replace the unit.

I thought it might be the control board, which I am not sure is a wise investment because it is costly.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
Well the only thing I could think of is that the relay on the board that controls the motor is bad and it's not sending 120 all the time it may have registered 120 V at one point when you tested but that doesn't mean it stays at 120 V when it's running, it just makes no sense if you know what I mean, I at a loss to think of anything else that it could be, there is no other explanation unless you got a bad motor which nowadays is not unheard of, if you put your meter on it now and run the microwave and you get 120 V steady to the motor and it's not running you received a bad motor, that's all it can be, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Could you tell me the part number for the relay, so I know which one to look for.

Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
sorry the relay is part of the main control board, you would need to replace the control board if thats the issue. this is way more than you would want to pay, its almost $500.00 alone. wish I had another answer for you, thanks Bryan