Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241

Hello. I have a GE Spacemaker over-the-range microwave overn.

Hello. I have a GE Spacemaker over-the-range microwave overn. Model# XXXXX 004; serial# XXXXX; MADE IN JUNE OF 2001. it says kw 1.58 and VAC/HZ 120/60.

1) ALL appears to work except:
a) will not heat up food
b) SMELLS like burnt rubber (as if it burnt a wire inside)
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 3 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today. You have a bad magnetron. the magnetron will cost more to replace then to by a new microwave.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is no "unusual" buzzing sound to suggest that. Is there a chance that there's a bad wire contact?

Theres not always a loud buzzing in fact most the time there isnt a buzzing. With the burning smell there is no chance of a bad wire contact.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is there any troubleshooting available to make sure of this?--the smell is actually as if rubber (or the cover of electical wire) had burnt somewhat.--There's no other sound OTHER than the normall sound it made before which was the NORMAL sound it always made.
There is no way to test the magnetron die to the high voltage. You can remove the microwave and then remove the metal cover and look for a burnt wire.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

IF IT WERE the magnetron, would it have that BURNT RUBBER smell?--do magnetrons EVEN HAVE wires that could burn?--I would like to know this BEFORE I upen it up.--If the magnetron has ANY wires that burn when it's NO LONGER working, this will give me THE BEST clues.

You've been great so far, I just don't get the why the BURNT RUBBER SMELL if it were the magnetron.

The magnetron only has 2 wires to it.. The magnetron will smell when it arches out. There is no way to test a magnetron you have to test everything around it.
Experience: Appliance tech 4 years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. if you somehow determined that it may be something else (due to the burnt rubber/wire smell), please let me know. my email address is XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.

I personally think it's something else as you may have noticed but will still "accept answer" to close the file and will proceeds to look for other suggestions.

Thank you and happy new year.

You too. Thank you.