How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Appliance Man Your Own Question
Appliance Man
Appliance Man, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 9896
Experience:  Appliance tech 4 years
13888241
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Appliance Man is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello. I have a GE Spacemaker over-the-range microwave overn.

Resolved Question:

Hello. I have a GE Spacemaker over-the-range microwave overn. Model# XXXXX 004; serial# XXXXX; MADE IN JUNE OF 2001. it says kw 1.58 and VAC/HZ 120/60.

1) ALL appears to work except:
a) will not heat up food
b) SMELLS like burnt rubber (as if it burnt a wire inside)
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be helping you with your question today. You have a bad magnetron. the magnetron will cost more to replace then to by a new microwave.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

There is no "unusual" buzzing sound to suggest that. Is there a chance that there's a bad wire contact?

Expert:  Appliance Man replied 6 years ago.
Theres not always a loud buzzing in fact most the time there isnt a buzzing. With the burning smell there is no chance of a bad wire contact.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is there any troubleshooting available to make sure of this?--the smell is actually as if rubber (or the cover of electical wire) had burnt somewhat.--There's no other sound OTHER than the normall sound it made before which was the NORMAL sound it always made.
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 6 years ago.
There is no way to test the magnetron die to the high voltage. You can remove the microwave and then remove the metal cover and look for a burnt wire.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

IF IT WERE the magnetron, would it have that BURNT RUBBER smell?--do magnetrons EVEN HAVE wires that could burn?--I would like to know this BEFORE I upen it up.--If the magnetron has ANY wires that burn when it's NO LONGER working, this will give me THE BEST clues.

 

You've been great so far, I just don't get the why the BURNT RUBBER SMELL if it were the magnetron.

Expert:  Appliance Man replied 6 years ago.
The magnetron only has 2 wires to it.. The magnetron will smell when it arches out. There is no way to test a magnetron you have to test everything around it.
Appliance Man and 3 other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Appliance Man replied 6 years ago.
You too. Thank you.