Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Water is pooling on the top shelf of my refrigerator. There

Water is pooling on the top shelf of my refrigerator. There is no drain at the bottom of my refrigerator. Can you tell me what the problem is?

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

You have a clogged defrost drain in the freezer section, when the refrigerator goes into defrost the water has nowhere to go so it drips down into the fresh food section on the shelf, you need to take all your food out of the freezer remove the back panel inside the freezer and under the coils there is a drain hole that is frozen, get some really hot water and pour over the frozen drain hole until it drains freely down to the pan in the bottom of the refrigerator underneath, this is a very common issue and when you take that back panel off you will see the coils and right under the coils in the very center is the hole, it's probably covered in ice so you may not see it right away, this will take care of your problem, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how do I remove the back panel? There is an icemaker.
you will need to remove the ice maker then there are screws holding the back panel in place, remove the screws and tip the panel down from the top and pull it out, sometimes the fan is connected to the panel if so you may have to unplug the fan and should come out with the panel, on some of these you may need to remove the bottom of the freezer also just the plastic bottom part that you put your food on, here's a diagram you should be able see which you need to remove to get to it, there is another way to do this if you have another refrigerated put your food you can just unplug the refrigerator and leave the doors open for 24 hours and it will defrost the ice that way you won't even need to take it apart, hope this info helps, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the picture doesn't really match. There is sort of a tower thing that is clipped into the back panel, I can see the fan through it. Where the floor of the freezer compartment at the tower and panel come together there is a metal plate that goes across the back, it is covered with ice. Can I just defrost that with hot water without removing ice maker and back panel??
Well not really will need you to take it apart or unplug it for 24 hours like I said if you just pour water hot water on it you going to make a mess and there's no guarantee it really melt the ice underneath, the picture I sent you may not look exactly the same but they are similar incomes in part the same way you may not have to take the bottom out though that's only on some models I know it's a pain in the neck but that's the way it has to be done unfortunately to make sure that you get all the ice out of the tube itself, like I said the only other way to do it is to unplug it for 24 hours and leave the doors completely open and let the whole refrigerator defrost, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, the water (hot) is running through the hole, I hear it running into the pan under the fridge. How does that water get out?? Do I have to do something with it? I can't see the actual pan.
no you just let it evaporate, thats how it works, sorry I was away from my computer so just got your reply, thats great that you got it, that will stop the water in the refrigerator, good job, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you! You were a big help. I'm not sure why that freezing happened. I don't remember changing settings.
Well just let it run it may have just been that one time it may not freeze again just keep the dials both about halfway which is factory settings, please don't forget to press the green except button if you think I've helped, thanks and well wishes, Bryan

Edited by Bryan on 1/2/2011 at 10:21 PM EST