Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Ancient Hitachi MR-800 microwave probably 30+ yrs old Seems

Customer Question

Ancient Hitachi MR-800 microwave probably 30+ yrs old
Seems the magnetron may have died for the new year 2011
makes more noise than usual , won't heat water , slight smell.
Are parts still available for this faithful, aged, workhorse of great workmanship?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

There are some parts available for this machine including the magnetron. click here, these microwaves are dangerous work on however, it's not recommended you do this yourself as the high-voltage side of the microwave, the capacitor can store a lethal amount of voltage even when this is unplugged its recommended a trained technician repair this, most likely the magnetron is failing but can also be the high-voltage diode which is a lot cheaper and that is probably the smell if it's like a plastic burning smell, technicians carry these diodes and can replace it for you, I would call a local repair company and let them know the symptoms and they can probably tell you whether they'll have the parts are not for it, there are universal diodes you can use these, hope this info is useful, well wishes and thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bryan,

Thanks so far , good to know about discharging the cap. In Canada , is this likely a simple repair then? Most will blow you off and sell you a new one, but from what you are saying , then all likely parts ARE available?...for this workhorse? that is the only hurdle it seems. Waiting for your reply.

Cheers,

Dean

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Yes Dean, the parts are showing available or at least the magnetron and I know the diode can be replaced also, it's got to be one of those two and so yes this should be a be repaired, you just need to find a reliable service repair guy who's not going to take you for a ride and tell you that it can't be repaired, I wish I could give you guy but unfortunately you will need to call around and talk to different people, I wish I could tell you more unfortunately I can't, thanks well wishes and have a great year, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am going to press pay...I had to boot off to church...just got your reply....here is my yahoo address if you have that service.Hopefully you will say thanks for the "cheque"so as to give me a Tennessee email contact for you. Who knows, maybe a buddy is trucking by your place and can drop it off. Do have a good year and thankyou , Bryan , and this company Just Ask.

Dean

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Again Bryan thanks.......I will try local for answers

Cheers Dean

drdeandrdean AT woo-who dot calm the cowboy website LOL

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
your welcome, thanks Bryan