Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

I have had a 1986 whirlpool dryer since new . I have cleaned

I have had a 1986 whirlpool dryer since new . I have cleaned all internal and external ductwork and have good air flow. The drum rotates fine and the heating elements glow orange steady on highest heat setting untill clothes are nearly dry, at which point I have measured 140 deg. F. It seems to take much longer than it used to to dry a load. (2 hours) Should it get hotter?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 3 years ago.

Hello, my name isXXXXX would expect to see almost 150F in the vent where it comes out of the dryer but you are close. Most times what you describe is caused by reduced air flow. If the air coming outside the house is about the same as right at the dryer it could be leaking drum seals or lint in the blower area. Leaking seals allow air to pull in from the room and reduce the efficiency. Before you do anything with seals, pull out the lint filter and see if you can run water through it. If it seem to restrict water flow use laundry detergent to wash the filter and see how much this will help. Fabric softeners clog them up. Best wishes.

Dave

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I ran water through filter screen, there is no sign of build up on screen. I ran dryer on high with no load in it, and measured 130-147deg F at vent outside, it seemed to follow a normal thermostat cycle about every minute or two. There is about a 1/4" gap at drum seal on left side but looks ok on top bot and rt. sides. A small leak here would just leave humid air push out, not "draw in room air" I dont notice a signifigant amount of humid air or lint around dryer while in use. What are your thoughts? Thanks,Bob

Bob, the drum runs negative pressure. The room air will go in not out. Your temperature is a little low but would not make a huge difference. I still think air flow is the problem. How long is the vent going to the outside and how may elbows. Is it solid pipe, metal or plastic flex?

Dave

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dave, The 4" flex pipe is apx 16" and makes a 90 and 45 deg then attaches to 4" thin wall pvc for apx 10' with 1 90 deg. I have a clean out on pvc and can see 10' run to outside is clean.I have run dryer empty with door override. I can see orange heating element on left side vent and feel hot air blowing in. The right side exit vent is directly in front of filter screen. It seems to me the drum has to be under possitive pressure, am I missing something?

The drum is negative pressure. The blower pulls air from the drum and blows it out the vent. The only place for air to get back into the drum should be through the heating element. That completes the circuit. In at the element, through the drum, through the filter to the blower and out the vent. The blower will take air from the path of least resistance. It should come in from the heater but any leaks in the drum seals will reduce the amount of air that comes in through the heater. I won't be able to tell you for sure without seeing the dryer but you could try one load with the vent off to see how fast it dries. You will get all the heat, moisture and lint in the room but it is a good test of the vent.

Dave

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dave, it has been a few years since I had the vent ass. apart, yes neg. pressure. I replaced the foam seals were the filter ass. attaches to motor and rear of drum. They were deteriorated. The drum seals seam intact but they do have an 1/8- 1/4" of clearance if you move the drum around, they may have been abused before I replaced the worn support wheels. I still need to dry a load to see if any better. Is replacing the drum seals a very common job, could I expect to see much improvement or do most people just replace dryer at this point?

It is hard to say how much improvement you would get. You would need to pull the drum to replace the seals and the rear seal should come with the high temperature glue to reattach the new seal. If you put your head into the drum with a flashlight to look forward you should be able to check the front seal. It is a folded felt seal except for the top part that supports the drum weight. If you had to pay labor it would not be wort the cost but depending on the parts cost you may give it a try. Good luck.

Dave

Experience: 30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore