Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a GE washing machine model number - WHRE5260EWW purchased

I have a GE washing machine model number - WHRE5260EWW purchased in 11/2004. The machine stops every now and then (in middle of wash) and all I have to do to restart is to hit start button. I suspect the door switch might be my problem. Do these proximity switches lose their contact efficiency? Or what other check I might need to do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

I would say you are exactly right, the only thing that would just pause the cycle is a faulty control board or if the unit thought the lid was opening. Because it's just an intermittent problem, it will be nothing more than a guess so you'll want to start with the cheaper part which is the magnetic lid switch. Below is a link to the magnetic lid switch you'd want to order and replace.