Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

Garbage disposal is stuck. My lovely daughter put two ice tea

Garbage disposal is stuck. My lovely daughter put two ice tea jugs in the machine and tried to compact them. The compacter mechanism is stuck in the down position. Any help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 3 years ago.
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to giving you a better understanding of your repair today....This is a disposal or a trash compactor..?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry it is a trash compactor.
When you hit the start button..Can you hear the motor running are trying to run..?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. I have pulled the unit from under the counter. I can see into the machine. The part that compacts the trash is stuck on something in the container. I can turn on the switch but it just grinds like it is stuck.
Ok good at least you have it out of the cabinet.That was your next step..You need to remove the bottom panel..Then rotate the chain and sprocket by hand to get the ram to come up.

Edited by MasterTech on 1/1/2011 at 4:17 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am assuming that you mean to turn it on its back side and remove the panel? Am I able to turn the chain and sprocket by hand if it is stuck on something inside the compactor?
Yes you should be able to..You will be able to but more force by turning the sprocket directly than the motor would..If not then you will have to remove the complete front of unit.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I want to see something on the machine and will get back to you.

No problem please do not forget to use the aceept option before you go ..For my time helping you..If you have any other questions please ask..Thanks Bob
Experience: 23 Years Major Appliance Repair
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bob:

I won't leave you hanging. I wanted to make sure your answer worked. It did. What a great service. Saves me time, my stomach lining and my hair from pulling it out.

Good news. I have a place to store my trash. Bad news. Upon pulling off the bottom cover I found a flywheel that is in two pieces. Oh well. Sure beats a $90.00 service call.

I will track down a part and will get it installed. Thanks again. Happy New Year.

Tim

Glad you have the problem solved..Sorry about the outcome.....Goodluck on your finished repair.If you dont mind leaving some feedback that would be good to...Thanks Bob