Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a GE Gas Range (the oven does not light) but the broiler

Customer Question

I have a GE Gas Range (the oven does not light) but the broiler will light and stove top will light. The range top still shows that it is preheating even when its not. What do you think might be the cause of this problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Sounds like your oven igniter below the floor inside your oven is just starting to fail and needs to be ordered and replaced. Oven igniters last about 6-8 years under normal use before they tend to start failing. They need to draw at least 3.2 amps or else they won't open the gas valve correctly and it will either crack the valve open, or open and shut the valve several times when it should just be holding open. It doesn't matter if the igniter is glowing or not; just because it glows doesn't mean the igniter is drawing enough power to open the safety valve. The igniter is only about a $50 part and you can replace it yourself if you want to remove the racks inside the oven and then remove the floor to access it. Otherwise it will cost about $150-175 to call someone and replace it for you. It's probably better to repair than replace the unit in this case. Below is a link to the igniter you'd want to order for your model number.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I replace the igniter was not it. their was no chang.what would be your next step?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
is the igniter even glowing when it's supposed to turn the oven on? And do you have a multimeter to test voltage?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The igniter glowing only when you have it on Broiler. Not when you have on the oven. I think i have multimeter to test voltage but i would look for it.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
are you sure you replaced the right igniter? The below the floor? The one on the ceiling is for broil, the one below the for is for bake.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I replaced the one on the ceiling. are they the same?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
no. The bake igniter is below the floor. They are the same igniter, but you need to replace the one under the floor.

Edited by appliance Doc on 1/4/2011 at 5:39 PM EST