servicegeek
servicegeek, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been a service tech for over 10 years at a leading service company.
47503688

I have about a 10 year old GE Profile top load washing machine.

Customer Question

I have about a 10 year old GE Profile top load washing machine. Recently the gentle slow and gentle fast wash cycles have stopped working after it fills with water and starts into the wash or agitation part of the cycle. It makes a loud intermittent clicking noise like a relay contact opening and closing quickly. The agitator seems to keep trying to engage but does not. However, if i move the selector knob to the Normal fast cycle it begins to agitate and completes the rest of the wash cycle just fine which would seem to eliminate transmissoin, motor and belt problems. I use the Gentle wash cycles a lot as the Normal cycle is pretty harsh on the clothes. Can you help me diagnose the problem and it's fix ?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  servicegeek replied 3 years ago.
Hey i will help you. Can you give me the model number on the washer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The model number is XXXXX
The noise is probably coming from the timer. This would not allow it to work on some cycles and work on others. Sometimes it will break something on the inside of it and just click. The part number on the timer is #WH12X1021 and retails for around $160 dollars. Hope this helps and please remember to click accept. Thanks David
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
David,
I guess it could be the timer causing the problem but the noise is coming from the agitator attempting to engage and then disingage rapidly causing the machine to shake and the lights in the room to dim off and on when it does it..
What make a difference is when i change the " WASH/SPIN SPEED" selector knob (Not the Time Knob)from one of the GENTLE modes to the NORMAL Wash mode which is when it works properly. I would hate to spend $160 for a new Timer unless i am sure that is indeed the problem. Thoughts ?
Ok well, sorry i didn't know those details. This sound like you would need a technician to come out and check it out. I think the motor is not getting correct voltage from something causing the to happen. I don't want to tell you to replace the timer and it could be a bad selector switch . It sound like the motor is confused in which way to go . You really need a technician because i don't think i could tell you a for sure answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I understand. Can you send it back out to the field of other service technicians to see if anyone else has encountered this specific problem before and can identify a definitive solution to fixing it ?