Francis, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  been working with refs, fridge, washers. dryers. dishwashers, microwaves for the past 12 yrs .

We have a monogram ZIS 42D side-by-side refrigerator. Over

Customer Question

We have a monogram ZIS 42D side-by-side refrigerator.

Over the last several days have heard what sounded like fan noise coming from the top compartment. I cleaned and vacuumed the condenser fan and filter.

But the sound is actually coming from the large encased unit on the left which I believe is the evaporatorr. It actually sounds like a noisy fan noise.

The noise also disappears when I open either the refrigerator door, or the freezer door.

I am handy, but far from any refrigerator technician.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Francis replied 5 years ago.

It could be a noisy bushing of the fan or if it sounded like the blade is hitting something, then it could be the fan blade touching ice.

Ice usually migrates to the fan blade section if you have a defrost issue.

What you can do is open the freezer inside upper back wall where the fan is located and you would see if the fan just needs lubricating oil or if ice is touching the fan blade.

If ice is present near the blade, then you could have a defrost issue.