The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

I have a GE Cafe Dual Fuel range. I tried to use the self-clean

I have a GE Cafe Dual Fuel range. I tried to use the self-clean function, and followed the steps in the manual. The door would not lock, and now the display shows "LOC" in large red letters and "locked" in small blue flashing letters. The controls are not responsive. I have tried unplugging the unit for several minutes, but that does nothing. Are there codes I should input to reset the unit? Thank you
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 6 years ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer.
If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't.

What you need to do is open the door and at the upper left should be a button. Press it and while holding it in start a cleaning cycle. Keep it pressed in and cancel the cycle after about 30 seconds. This should get rid of the loc error.

Try a baking cycle and see if the unit will work. If it gives another error code please post it here, and I will provide further information.

If everything works ok then you are one of a lucky few. When you use the self clean cycle it generates temperatures so high that it litterally bakes the control boards of these units. This of course causes them to fail. If yours still works then I strongly recommend that you not use the self clean function. A little elbow grease will save you a very high repair bill.

Please let me know if you require further assistance, or information.
If not please click on "ACCEPT".
Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The "LOC" display cleared, but the flashing "locked" display did not. The door does not lock, but the "locked" display is flashing. Pressing and holding the clear button does nothing. We have never used the self-cleaning function before so the controls should not be baked. We had this problem once before when we tried to use the self-cleaning option, and somehow we were able to clear the display, but nothing is working now.

Ok you got rid of the LOC error. Try killing the power to the unit at the breaker panel for a few minuets. That will reset the main control board. Please let me know if that doesnt solve the problem.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately, it did not

Ok this is going to be a control board failure Im sorry to say.

Due to the high cost of replaceing the board I strongly recommend that you have an experienced repair person have a look at the unit for you. This is not something that I feel comfortable helping you diagnose over the internet. The testing required hands on by someone that has been trained to do the proper diagnostics.

If not please click on "ACCEPT".
Thank you.