The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

I have a FG1H5040T3NV water heater. I believe that the thermocouple

Customer Question

I have a FG1H5040T3NV water heater. I believe that the thermocouple requires replacement. I can light the main burner but it will stop burning about 40 seconds into the cycle. How do I disassemble the the thermocouple area to gain access to the part.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 5 years ago.

The Home Smithy :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't. Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

Ok what you have is a dirty flame sensor. There are two things that have wires going to them. One is the spark ignighter and the other is the flame sensor. Use a small wire brush and clean off the one that isnt the iogniter. That should get you back up and running. If that doesnt work please let me know.
FYI the cover plates on these can be a pain to get off. Just tweak it a bit and it will come off.

The Home Smithy :

Please let me know if you require further assistance, or information.
If not please click on "ACCEPT".
Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-cxmw98ps- :

OK. I think the thermocouple is bad. The pilot will light and the burner will light, but the fire goes out in about 45 to 60 sec. The pilot is not burning after this event. Also, How do you open up this area for the replacement. Do I have to disconnect the fuel supply to the burner? It appears as thought the plate removes as assembly. Is this so?

The Home Smithy :

The flame sensor does the same job as the thermocouple. Your unit does not have a thermocouple like the oolder pilot light type units. If the flaame sensor does not see that the flame is present it will shut off the fuel until it does.

The Home Smithy :

Try cleaning it off with a wire brush first. If that doesnt work then you will have to replace it.

JACUSTOMER-cxmw98ps- :

Where is the flame sensor, How do I gain access to it?

The Home Smithy :

There are two wires that go to where the pilot light usually sits. One is the igniter (has a small wire tip coming out of the end of it) and the other wire goes to the flame sensor (what would be the thermocouple in a pilot light system). Clean off the one without the wire tip.