Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a bosch double oven model HBL 655. We have replaced

I have a bosch double oven model HBL 655. We have replaced the door hinges once already at a cost of almost 350.00. Two years later they wore out and then the glass window cracked. I see the hinges are 121,00 a piece, plus the installation, I don't know how it would be to replace the glass. Bosch says too bad. I am 53 years old and never ever had oven hinges go bad on me (now twice). The cost is ridiculous, the oven is poorly designed. The hinges will fail again. Is this a common problem and is there an after market hinge that could replace the original bad designs. I am ready to toss this oven. I bought Bosch because I thought it meant quality.

It makes no sense to me to keep repairing this oven, do you agree?

Bob
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

I agree with almost everything you stated except that it's probably still worth repairing because this unit isn't that old and a new unit is like $3000 or so. It's completely your call of course because the repair will cost about $500 with new glass and hinges, but you'll get a few more years out of it if you repair the unit as opposed to replacing the oven.

Now that being said, this is an extremely common problem and the reason they bend so often is because the hinge metal gets warm, then when you open the door the door will bend the hinges just slightly. If this happens several times, it will eventually cause the door to open past 90 degrees and then the door won't pull shut. There are no after market hinges for Bosch ovens so you'd need to replace the original hinges again, but if you choose to do so make sure to be very very careful when opening the door---just gently set the door down so that it doesn't bend so easily and then the hinges will last a very long time if you treat it like a baby. You shouldn't have to do this in my opinion, but it's the only way.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since having three kids and being overly careful does it make sense for me to creat some type of stop, meaning make a cable and attach it to the oven and the door so when the door opens it stops shy of the 90 degree mark and thus preventing anothe $500.00 repair.

Is the repair soe I can do or is pretty advanced for the weekend warrior?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
if you can do this then that would definitely help, I really don't know how you'd get it to work myself since the door still needs to shut all the way and it needs to seal up, but if you can find a way to attached the cable then that would definitely work.

And this is actually quite a big job and requires you uninstalling the entire unit and removing the side panels to access and replace the hinges, so unless you're very handy I'd leave it to a technician. If you work on cars and are used to doing larger scale disassemblies then this shouldn't be all the much different.