MRANSWER
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS
13971964

My inquiry is regarding our Dishwasher, DD603, purchased 2005.

Customer Question

My inquiry is regarding our Dishwasher, DD603, purchased 2005. Suddenly this morning, the TOP Drawer became extremely difficult to open and close. The first 1/3 has to be pulled very hard, the middle 1/3 glides smoothly, and the final 1/3 is also very hard to pull. Once opened the difficulty reverses but to get it started to close we really have to push quite hard. We're afraid to break something. We removed the tub thinking it was just off kilter. Once reattached, the problem persists. We did notice, however, when the tub was removed that the Moisture Protection Tape area had a little give to it. Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Ed
Pleasant Hill, CA
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 5 years ago.
There are motors that move the lid; they need to be replaced. You may also need to replace the lid if the gasket has torn from you forcing the drawer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Where is the "lid" you speak of? Just to make sure we're talking about the same appliance its a Fisher & Paykel Dish Drawer washer DD603. Where are these motors located? I know that the drawer rises to seal out water leakage when ready to wash dishes and lowers when done. Other than that, the drawers normally slide smoothly. What might have caused it malfunction so suddenly?
Thanks,
Ed
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 5 years ago.
I know what this is. The lid pulls down to seal the drawer- how else would it be water-tight when running? You are mistaken here-the motors DO NOT raise the drawer. The motors are plainly visible once the drawer is removed. My answer is unchanged regardless. Anything mechanical can fail.

Edited by MRANSWER on 1/2/2011 at 3:34 PM EST
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 5 years ago.
So, what else is needed here?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My son stopped by this morning. We removed the tub again. He noticed that the lid appeared in the closed position. Upon reattachment he ran it through a wash cycle. All the seals held and the drawer glides smoothly once again. It appears that the top lid somehow did not retract completely after the previous cycle. Once reset, everything is working fine. Thanks anyway.