Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

Spin cycle at end of wash has stopped working tonite. Is there

Customer Question

Spin cycle at end of wash has stopped working tonite. Is there a belt involved that can be replaced?
Model MAV6200AWW
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be assisting you.

When it gets to the spin cycle does it do anything at all? No noise?

Also is it just one spin cycle or all?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It seems to be making a noise, not as loud as usual. The water drains out but the wash is very wet and needed to be hand wrung. Appears to be the last cycle.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
What happens is the motor reverses to set the transmission into spin. There is much more of a load on the belt and pulley in spin than there is in wash. So if a belt is going to slip this is when it will do it.

I believe that is all you will need to take care of the problem. Lean the washer back against the wall and just roll the old belt off and the new belt on. No special tools are required.

The factory part number is XXXXX and you can shop anywhere with that number. One place that has it online is located HERE.
That should take care of it.

Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Barry-does the front panel of the washer come off to get at the belt.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, If you lean the washer back against the wall and look up at the very bottom you will see it.

I had to step out for a minute if you need me again please shout I will be here.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We tipped it back and the belt is in tact and when we put the machine into a spin cycle it moves. Not sure what next?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
There is not a lot of black dust on the floor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no, not at all.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Ouch that really not good. The transmission is bad or the brake and clutch in between are.

You have no choice but call for repair. You cannot take these apart to repair them. Inside is a compressed spring and can seriously injure you. I mean broken arm or fractured jaw busted out teeth kind of injury. It requires special tools to do the job safely and only a technician is going to have these.

The cost of a transmission without labor is 237.68 and thats without labor. The brake and clutch if that is the problem is going to be around $200.00 in labor. I do not do them but I just called a friend that does. Just do not try to do it on your own because it can really can hurt you.

Barry

Edited by Barry G on 1/1/2011 at 1:25 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Because we bought the machine in April 2001 is the transmission covered or the brake and clutch?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Did you mean April 2010?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No April 2001.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
No maximum warranty Maytag has is 5 years as far as I know. Now you may have purchased an extended warranty where you purchased the machine.

In either case. If you think you do have a warranty the phone number for Maytag is 1-(800)(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It looks like the warranty for the transmission is for up to 10 years so I am guessing that it is worth the phone call?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Absolutely, I did not know that, I honestly thought that had changed. I do know this as long as you have your book and if it says 10 years they will honor it. That would be a lot safer if nothing else. Thats the very reason I do not take them apart.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok-not sure if they are around this weekend but I certainly can try to see what I can find out. Thank you.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Yes you are welcome. Have a really nice new years eve!