S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance

Maytag washing machine Model MHWE500VW11 keeps giving Suds

Maytag washing machine Model MHWE500VW11 keeps giving "Suds" message when I try to wash. At first, it only happened occasionally and then I was able to unplug it and it would work fine. Then it started doing it more frequently and now it won't work at all. Trying to decide what we should do. How much would it cost if we called a repair man?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 3 years ago.

S.E.Thomas :

hello, welcome to just answer. my name is XXXXX XXXXX and i will be happy to assist you with your problem. The cost of a repair man depends on where you live but the average house call in America is around $100. The code you are receiving is cause by excess suds in the machine. this is not always caused by suds though. this can also be something in the pump like coins. The first thing you want to do is put about a half a cup of cooking oil in he tub of the washer and then run a rinse or short cycle. the cooking oil will kill any suds that are in the washer. if this solves the problem then you are good. If this does not then you will need to remove the pump.

Customer :

We already checked the pump and it is clear

S.E.Thomas :

Well there is something wrong in the pump in order for you to be getting this code. the only other thing that could be wrong is the board and they are not cheap so i would rule out every other possibility first. did you check the hose going from the tub to the pump?

Customer :

Yes, we did check the hose, too.

S.E.Thomas :

then i would try running the oil through it just to make sure that there is not a build up of soap in the pump.

S.E.Thomas :

you would not see this

S.E.Thomas :

it would cause suds when the pump is running

S.E.Thomas :

at that point if you are sure that the hoses are clear and the pump is clean, then you will need to replace the control board

Customer :

Right now, we are not able to get it to run a normal cycle. It just gives the suds message and then after a while it gives an F35 message. Will the oil help without a normal cycle?

S.E.Thomas :

let me check the f35 message

S.E.Thomas :

did you guys get the tech sheet from inside the washer?

Customer :

I don't know what that is? We have the manual.

S.E.Thomas :

there is a tech sheet inside the washer. it is usually inside the front panel or remove the top and it will be in a plastic bag glued to one of the sides. This will contain all of the fault codes for this washer. I am also trying to pull them up through my source right now.

Customer :

I think that I have seen that. I will see if I can get it.

S.E.Thomas :

I have found mine

S.E.Thomas :

you will still want to locate yours for future reference. they hide them from the customer.

Customer :

I found mine, too!

Customer :

Mine says Analog Pressure sensor failure under F35

S.E.Thomas :

yes that is correct

S.E.Thomas :

this is the same thing we were talking about with the sude

Customer :

so if we let it run the "suds" cycle, with the oil in it, should that help it?

S.E.Thomas :

you say it will not even start though correct?

S.E.Thomas :

this means that the board is not working if this is the case

S.E.Thomas :

WOW that board for this washer is over $300

S.E.Thomas :

let me check at a discount site

Customer :

It does act like it is going to wash but when the suds comes on, it starts doing something, but I have been stopping it and unplugging and trying again.

Customer :

I think that it will fill with water and then drain it, but I will have to try.

S.E.Thomas :

give it a try and let me know exactly what is happening

Customer :

It filled with water and now it is just sitting with "Suds" on the screen

S.E.Thomas :

this tells me that the pressure sensor is not sensing the water level.

S.E.Thomas :

lets first check and make sure that the pressure tube is attached to the pressure switsh and that it is clear.

Customer :

On my tech sheet, it says that "if suds are detected continuously by the pressure switch during the drain or spin phases, the washer will fill with 4 liters of water and during 5 min. the unit will rest without tumbling, the water will be drained and it will try to spin or drain again" So, I think that it is doing that???

Customer :

Now it is draining and reads "21"

Customer :

Now it reads "F35"

S.E.Thomas :

yes that is what i mean about the pressure switch is not sensing the water level. being that it is not it thinks thee is suds in the washer and it is trying to rinse the suds out. the problem has to do with the pressure switch, pressure switch tube, or the ccu.

Customer :

How do we check the pressure tube and pressure switch?

S.E.Thomas :

looking at the rear of the tub there is a clear,white plastic piece. this is the air chamber. one end of the pressure tube is connected to it. the other end is connected to the pressure switch. i will send you a pic of the 2

S.E.Thomas :

AppliancePartsPros.com | WHIRLPOOL Switch - Wl, part number: AP4323930
Full Size Image

S.E.Thomas :

the switch is located on the right side at the rear

S.E.Thomas :

it is number 20 in this pic

S.E.Thomas :

AppliancePartsPros.com | Top and Cabinet Parts replacement parts for Maytag MHWE500VW11 Automatic Washer
Full Size Image

S.E.Thomas :

click on the image

S.E.Thomas :

AppliancePartsPros.com | WHIRLPOOL Airtrap, part number: AP3128817
Full Size Image

S.E.Thomas :

this is number 14 in this pic

S.E.Thomas :

AppliancePartsPros.com | Tub and Basket Parts replacement parts for Maytag MHWE500VW11 Automatic Washer
Full Size Image

Customer :

We haven't opened up the back. We were able to check the pump from the bottom front. How do we get into the back? Is it pretty simple?

S.E.Thomas :

you really do not need to. locate the switch and remove the hose from it. then blow through the tube to see if it is clear.

Customer :

The only thing that we have opened up is the bottom front panel. Can we locate the switch without opening up the washer further?

S.E.Thomas :

you need to remove the top. there are just a few screws across the rear (2 or 3) holding the top. remove and slide the top to the rear and lift it off

S.E.Thomas :

you can then access the switch

Customer :

hold on... trying this

Customer :

have located the switch and hose. How do we know if it is clear?

S.E.Thomas :

remove it from the switch and blow through it

Customer :

Did that, but it is attached at the other end, so we can't really tell anything.

S.E.Thomas :

if you can blow through it then it is clear

S.E.Thomas :

if you can not then it is clogged

S.E.Thomas :

were you able to blow through it?

Customer :

we can blow into it, but not sure it it is blowing through it.

S.E.Thomas :

I am not sure I understand what you are saying?

S.E.Thomas :

are you able to blow air through the hose?

S.E.Thomas :

if it is clogged then you will not be able to blow through it

Customer :

I don't know if the air is going "through" it since we don't have the other end to feel if it is going through

S.E.Thomas :

you can tell by just blowing into the hose.

S.E.Thomas :

if you can blow in it then the air is coming out the other end

Customer :

It doesn't feel clogged. we are blowing and it doesn't feel like much resistance

S.E.Thomas :

if not then you will be blue in the face trying to blow through it

S.E.Thomas :

then it is not clogged

Customer :

Not blue in the face... just feels like blowing up a balloon

S.E.Thomas :

i would first change the switch as that is the cheapest

S.E.Thomas :

this is where it is tough on you as you do not have the parts to try and they are non returnable.

S.E.Thomas :

a tech can simply plug in the new switch and see if it works. if it does not he can remove it and order the board

Customer :

I just talked to my in laws because I recall them having some repairs done to theirs (different brand) and them mentioning a switch. they looked it up and it was the pressure switch that they had replaced (under warranty) and their machine was acting the same way that ours is. Any idea how much one costs for this machine?

S.E.Thomas :

yes this is common

S.E.Thomas :

this can be found at www.appliancepartspros.com at a discounted price.

S.E.Thomas :

here is the part number and price

S.E.Thomas :

it sounds to me like this is your problem at this point.

Customer :

It is easy to replace for a "non professional"?

S.E.Thomas :

if it was the board it would have quit all at once and not acted up over a period of time like you say that yours has. yes. you have already removed the hose all you need to do is remove the plug and unclip it

S.E.Thomas :

simply plug the new one in and replace the hose

Customer :

It looks like the part is "out of stock" . Any idea how long it takes to get in stock?

S.E.Thomas :

it says 5-6 days

S.E.Thomas :

they are usually pretty quick.

S.E.Thomas :

one min i will check another place

Customer :

Another question for you. My inlaws have a kenmore. I see that this same part works for some kenmores too. Would it be okay to take the part off of their machine and check it on our machine to see if it works before we buy one. Would it cause any damage to the switch to do this?

Customer :

I am checking their model number

S.E.Thomas :

the factory part number from whirlpool (which is who made this) is W10156252.

S.E.Thomas :

these are all made by whirlpool

S.E.Thomas :

i would need there model number to cross reherence the part and see if it is the same one

Customer :

i am getting the model number....

Customer :

It is a Kenmore XXXXXXXXXXX /p>

S.E.Thomas :

you have to put a space between the numbers as it will show up as xxxxxxxxxxx. the system thinks it is a phone number and you are not allowed to send personal info

S.E.Thomas :

all i got was xxxxxxxxxx

Customer :

okay 1 1 0 4 7 7 8 9 7 0 1

S.E.Thomas :

thank you. one min please

S.E.Thomas :

yes that is the exact same washer as yours. just a different looking panel.

Customer :

so, it wouldn't "hurt" the part to take it off and then put it on ours and then put it back on theirs?

S.E.Thomas :

you can remove theirs ( if they are nice enough to let you go tear theirs apart) and try it first. this will save you a ton of money incase this is not your problem.

S.E.Thomas :

no. even if the problem is something else on yours it will not hurt there switch

S.E.Thomas :

www.sears.com has the switch in stock but it is $30 more

Customer :

they are definitely nice enough!! they are the best!! And theirs is still under warranty, so they would be protected anyways.

S.E.Thomas :

WOW

S.E.Thomas :

i just found it at half that price

S.E.Thomas :

if this ends up being the problem go to www.appliancezone.com and order it there.

S.E.Thomas :

it is only $49

S.E.Thomas :

I check my supplier and MY COST IS $73. thats crazy

S.E.Thomas :

and i am an authorized dealer!!!

Customer :

Thank you so much!! My husband is going to try switching out the switch. It looks like it is on sale, so I will make sure that he does it soon so that he can get the sale price!!

S.E.Thomas :

yes as that is a great price.

Customer :

Is there anyway to contact you again if we have any further questions?

S.E.Thomas :

Yes, before you accept i am going to switch you over to a Q&A format. then after you accept and pay me you can still come back to this same question if you need further assistance. please stay with me for one min.

S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Ok you can now press the accept button. If you have any further questions, ;log in and go to "My Questions" and simply click on this question.