Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

My Frigidaire side-by-side refrigerator/freezer is not working

Customer Question

My Frigidaire side-by-side refrigerator/freezer is not working properly. Freezer is cool on bottom, as is fridge, but neither is effective. Tech put in new 3-n-1 relay yesterday and 24 hours later the freezer is not cold enough. I opened inside rear of freezer and found top 4" or so of coils frozen with ice.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 3 years ago.

Tim Alan :

Hi my name isXXXXX can help you with your issue. First of all is the fan inside the freezer running?

Customer :

Hi Tim. I'm Jim. Thanks for the help

Customer :

I have the back open. Let me plug it in again and check.

Tim Alan :

Hi Jim ,your welcome

Customer :

I don't see any fans inside the actual freezer cabinet

Customer :

The fan that is near the compressor in the rear runs

Tim Alan :

You should be able to hear it and it should be just above the coil inside the freezer.

Customer :

Ah, ok

Customer :

I see a small plastic fan - it is not running

Customer :

Should it run with the rear panel of the inside of the fridge removed? Should that matter?

Tim Alan :

ok that's probably the issue and you said the top of the coils is iced up? yes it should be running when the coil is cold. If there was ice build up at the top and the fan was not running then the defrost t'stat is bad.

Customer :

cool - so I would need a new defrost thermostat kit - I looked it up early it's about $15 - is that correct?

Tim Alan :

Yes good you have it. The neutral for the fan goes through that stat and it should be closed around 30-40 degrees to complete the circuit for the fan.

Customer :

Is there a 0% probability that that there is something wrong with the compressor?

Tim Alan :

Well hard to tell if there is absolutely nothing wrong with the compressor if that fan isn't running, however the coils should be completely frosted over after the compressor has been running for at least 4 hours but also that back panel needs to be inplace for proper airflow.

Customer :

Hmm. The freezer was running from 4PM yesterday, and only the top 4" and sides of the coils was frozen over - not the whole thing...

Customer :

Does that change your thinking?

Tim Alan :

Were you having an issue with things not freezing before the relay was replaced? or was it a sudden no cool?

Customer :

About 2 days earlier I noticed the ice dispenser had water in it. The ice was melting and dripping into the dispenser. The freezer was thawing out. But the bottom section of the freezer was still icy.

Customer :

The bottom was frozen then, as it is now - after the relay was replaced.

Customer :

But the top of the freezer is pretty much room temp, and the refrigerator - except for a small section at the bottom- is room temperature.

Tim Alan :

So it was still cold but not freezing. Why was the relay replaced. Was the fan running then? It could have been the fan issue all along.

Customer :

Why? that's what the techician said was the likely problem.

Customer :

How much are they supposed to charge to replace a relay?

Customer :

I don't know if the fan was running then - I didn't do a diagnosis

Customer :

Frankly, I didn't have a whole lot of confidence in the tech - his name was provided via a Frigidaire tech support line

Customer :

He didn't appear to run any diagnostics - he didn't pull out an ohm meter to check anything, for instance

Tim Alan :

Likely problem? Huh. Around 175-200 maybe. If the relay was bad you wouldn't have any cooling at all. Feel the condenser coil underneath the unit in front ans see if it is above room temperature if should be pretty warm.

Customer :

Yeah - this crook wanted $300 to replace the relay, and the dern fridge still doesn't work. We paid him $250, but he's going to get getting another call from me after I finish fixing this.

Tim Alan :

Tell him you contacted the manufacturer and told them that a 3 in 1 is not an approved repair part and should be removed an exact replacement installed because the 3 in 1 are known to burn out and or damage compressors.

Customer :

is that true?

Customer :

That it is not an approved part?

Customer :

I don't see a condensor coil in front of the freezer on the bottom from the outside

Customer :

There is a coil on the rear bottom which I cleaned yesterday prior to the repair

Tim Alan :

Yes most manufacturers will not allow those and I worked for Frigidaire factory service and we referred to those as compressor fryers they do take them out. Wherever you can put a hand on the coil and feel if it's warm.

Customer :

ok - I'll have to take the cardboard cover off the rear - this will take a couple mins

Tim Alan :

ok

Customer :

ok - the tube to the coil is a little warm, but the coil itself doesn't seem to be much more than room temperature

Customer :

It's a little warmer than room temp

Customer :

I should say, the tube coming off the compressor is very warm. The coil itself is probably 5 or 10 degrees warmer than room temp

Tim Alan :

ok good, why don't you do this replace the defrost stat put a thermometer in the freezer around the middle someplace and leave it alone and let it run for 24 hours and see if it gets to zero degrees.

Customer :

ok - does the website you are associated with sell parts? Or do you have a recommended website?

Tim Alan :

Without that fan running and which gives it a full load it's hard to tell.

Customer :

understood

Tim Alan :

No we don't sears or any local parts supplier should have it.

Customer :

Ok - is the defrost thermostat easy to install? can you send me link to instructions?

Tim Alan :

It should be exact if not the wires are color coded just attach the same color wires together.

Customer :

ok- and it's right next to the fan inside the freezer box, right?

Tim Alan :

I'll send you a link with a wiring diagram of your unit that should help. Yes it is it's a round clixon.

Customer :

great

Customer :

Tim - not sure if you are on other conversations, but you might want to work yourself thru "mavis bacon teaches typing" - great program!

Customer :

Helps speed up your typing...

Tim Alan :

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Frigidaire-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/Model-FRS6LF7FS4/1428/0165000?pathTaken= copy and paste this it has the wiring diagrams and unit break down.

Tim Alan :

Anything that could help thanks.

Customer :

Ok - takeaways - I'll replace the defrost thermostat, and I need to get this tech back here to replace the 3 n1 , right?

Tim Alan :

Don't forget to press the accept button and leave a comment thank you and have a Happy New Year. Yes have him put the right one on.

Customer :

The tech told me the 3 n 1 cost $100

Customer :

I saw it online for $10

Customer :

He lied to me

Customer :

I will accept the charge and leave a nice comment - thx

Tim Alan :

20 at most. Yes he did.

Tim Alan :

Your welcome.

Customer :

Since you worked for Frigidaire, what can I do to 'entice' him to refund some of hte money and get him back here to fix this properly?

Customer :

What is the worst thing that i could do as a consumer that would make him look bad - mind you, I don't want to do this - I just want to get him back here to fix it right at a fair price

Tim Alan :

If he is legitimate he should be willing to fix it right so it cools. He was called out for a cooling issue and still doesn't cool right he should be willing to fix it right.

Customer :

If he doesn't want to come back would threatening a letter to Frigidaire do any good, or would that just piss him off?

Tim Alan :

Deal with him first, then contact Frigidaire.

Customer :

sure. thx.

Customer :

Happy Holidays

Tim Alan :

Your welcome. Thanks.

Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is Tom there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is Tim there?
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 3 years ago.
I am here. What can I do for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tim - I replaced the thermostat as directed and the fan is still not running. What is the next option? The refrigerator is getting cold, the coil is hot near the compressor and warm otherwise. Please send me an email on this - or call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX - thx, jim
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 3 years ago.
Give the stat a while to cool down it could take a while for it to close. If it still isn't running then check for power to the fan motor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok - I'll go to the gym and check it out in a couple hours. Thanks.
is there a specific time I can catch you on this site in case I need help later? Or should I defer to whoever is available?
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 3 years ago.
I'll be on most of the rest of the day.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tim - there is now frost on the coil inside the fridge, but the fan is still not running. Any thoughts?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If I just connect the ends of wires where I put in the thermostat, should the fan run? This way I can test that the fan runs when it gets power.
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 3 years ago.
You should check for power to the fan, you will have to take the wire that is wire to the thermostat straight to the fan are you sure you wired the thermostat properly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I definitely wired it properly. But i will disconnect the thermostat again and connect the wires directly to see if the fan starts up.
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 3 years ago.
Ok, if it doesn't then the only way to check for power is with a volt meter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok- so the fan doesn't run when the wires are hooked up directly bypassing the thermostat. I don't own a voltmeter - will have to go out and buy one. Once i have it, what do I do to test power?
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 3 years ago.
Put each one of the leads onto each one of the terminals and see if you have 120 volts to it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is no power to the fan. What do I do next?
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 3 years ago.
Check from one of the terminals to ground and tell me what you have.
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 3 years ago.
Let me know what you get if you do not have 120 volts to the fan motor than the genesis control is bad, however if you have 120 volts to ground then there is an issue with the neutral.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tim - I wasn't able to check on this. The tech that 'fixed' the refrigerator the first time is coming back this afternoon (I finally tracked him down). Is the genesis control the board that controls the temp in the refrigerator? I see one for about $160 on the frigidaire website - would that be about right? If i have the tech install it, how much should that cost? Or can I do it myself?
thanks,
jim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is this the control you are talking about? Or is it one of the others?http://www.partselect.com/PartDetail.aspx?Inventory=1531809&SourceCode=4
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 3 years ago.
Yes that is the genesis control. According to sears website they sell them for 123 bucks. Don't know what the technician will charge for install. There not that hard to put in it's just a matter of taking down the plastic control panels inside the refer kind of a pain on Frigidaire units they all lock together and you have top drop most of it down but the electronics are are all quick connects.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you tell me the part number at Sears?
thx,
jim
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 3 years ago.
(NNN) NNN-NNNNpart number for the control
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tim -
The repair guy finally showed up again - 3 days later!
I had fedexed a new fan and a new genesis board.
He installed the new fan and everything looks ok.
Thanks again for your help
jim
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome, I'm glad you got it working.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry I never finished this out with you. The problem was that the freezer fan stopped working. The control board was ok. Thanks,
jim
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 3 years ago.
I'm glad you got it fixed, thanks for letting me know.