Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore

problem with refrigerator - temperature keeps rising (esp.

problem with refrigerator - temperature keeps rising (esp. in freezer)
KitchenAid kfcs22evms2 new in July 2010, has worked well until last few days
Fridge is full of food, but not to extreme degree (& has previously held as much w/no prob)
Freezer temp starter rising slowly a few days ago and is now at 24 F.
Last night, I vacuumed a moderate amount of dust/lint from coils at bottom front (behind grille) but the temperature rise continues.
There is no dust around louvers on back panel, fan is blowing strongly
There is no blockage or obstruction around air vents inside fridge or freezer.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 3 years ago.

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will help you with your refrigerator. Your description is good and already covers several possible problems. A few questions should narrow the possibilities. Are the black coils under the refrigerator warm? Is there any frost built up on the lower rear inside the freezer? Thanks.

Dave

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dave - thanks for helping me out.
The black coils @ bottom front are not warm (~room temp).
There is no frost in freezer compartment

Sounds like the compressor is not running. It is the black round metal sealed motor in the bottom rear behind the cover. It should be almost too hot to touch and be humming. Let me know what you find.

Dave

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dave - I thought I replied already but perhaps my reply was lost.

I removed the sheet metal @ bottom rear of unit.
Facing rear of unit, there's a round black sealed pot @ bottom right.
It's hot (almost too hot to touch) and humming.
On bottom left of unit is a fan, it's turning rapidly and also contributing some noise.

BTW the refrigerator has in recent days been making more noise than usual.
It hasn't been constant, it's a buzzing/rattling noise, we found it could be attenuated by pressing on doors

Ok. Is the compressor, (the large black part) running all the time or do you hear a hum and click every 5-10 minutes? Sometimes using a screwdriver with the handle to your ear will help determine if it is really running. If it is running all the time and doing no cooling you have a serious problem. Either a leak or a total restriction of the sealed system. If it is only trying to start off and on it may be the relay.

Dave

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks, Dave

compressor is running continuously (I checked this with screwdriver/"stethoscope")
No periodic hum/click (as if relays going on/off with compressor startup).

We have noticed some corrosion (aqua copper oxide and white buildup) on some copper pipes inside unit.

This is not good news. The problem is either a blockage or leak of the refrigerant gas or the compressor is not pumping, but that is rare. To cost to repair the system will depend where the problem is found but at a minimum it would be $150 and add any parts. If the compressor needs to be replaced it is over $400-500. Check your warranty but most times it is only covered a year and some are 5 years. Sorry for the bad news but Merry Christmas!

Dave

Experience: 30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore