Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have a Caloric RST-376 Gas Range Ser# XXXXXXXXXX The oven

I have a Caloric RST-376 Gas Range Ser# XXXXX The oven does not ignite. There is no gas getting to the burner....like the valve is not opening. Everything else works fine and ignites such as the range burners as well as the broiler in the oven.

When you set the temp on the control panel for the oven, the display works fine, the ignitor turns bright red, but no gas. I did an Ohm test on the oven sensor and it reads fine (I think it was 180 ohms....can't remember it's been several weeks)

There are no Fault codes that come up on the display at any time....(unless there is some trick to getting them to display?)

I also tried to check the voltage going to the control valve but not sure about my method. One one side read approx. 115V and the other a low number such as 16 or 18 if I recall. I was just guessing on this test...saw the terminals at the valve and thought I'd try to check the voltage while turning the oven and broiler off and on....inconclusive.

I was hoping I have a bad valve since they are fairly inexpensive compared to a control panel or board.

Any for sure fix, or do I just start buying parts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 3 years ago.

How where you testing the voltage to the valve ,should be testing both terminals with the meter.

And Just because you have the igniter glowing does not mean it is good.

Do you have a Clamp on AMP meter?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

With a standard volt meter contacting at terminals on the valve. If I recall one side was Brown wire and a White wire, and the other side I think was Green and White.

I don't have a clamp on but I can get one. It would not be till later tonite or tomorrow morning till I was able to test. Oven is not in my house it is in my mothers home about 1/2 hr drive.

If you can give me instructions I can try and test tonite sometime.

I will be on till midnight EST

And just clamp the probe on one of the wires to the igniter and turn the oven on .

If you get a reading of 2.8 - 3.2 amps the igniter is good and the valve is bad .

If you do not get between 2.8 - 3.2 amps the igniter is bad.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK thanks will do. I will try to get back to you before you sign off or I can pay you now if you are confident this will solve the issue.

It can only be one of two things if the igniter glows.

You can pay now And I WILL still help you later if you need it .

Experience: 30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line