S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

Neptune stacking washer & dryer. Purchased in 2001. Never

Neptune stacking washer & dryer. Purchased in 2001. Never drained on extra rinse cycle.

Washer has stopped spinning. Can you advise as to what part it may be? Still runs and sounds like it is spinning but opened the door and pushed in the button in order to trick the machine into operating. It doesn't move at all.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 4 years ago.

S.E.Thomas :

hello, welcome to just answer. my name is XXXXX XXXXX and i will be happy to assist you with your problem. You can not trick this washer into spining with the door open as there is an external door switch( which you can push in to fool the washer) and an internal door switch in which you can not push to fool the washer. the first thing you want to check is to see if the door lock light is still coming on when the washer is started?

Customer :

yes the door light still comes on and the lock light still works as well.

S.E.Thomas :

If you put the washer into the spin cycle does it run through the cycle or does it shut back down after a few min?

Customer :

it runs thru the entire cycle, I believe. Should I try to run it now on just a spin cycle?

Customer :

we currently have the hoses disconnected. shall I reconnect?

S.E.Thomas :

you can do that just to be sure. it is best to start it at the rinse mark as it can be tricky to catch it right at the spin mark. yes it needs to be hooked to the water to do this. since you have the hoses off now did you remove the rear cover of the washer yet to access and check the belt?

Customer :

yes the belt is still intact.

S.E.Thomas :

ok. then go ahead and try to run through the rinse and spin cycle.

Customer :

hooking up the hoses now and will run thru rinse and spin cycle. Any suggestion as to which cycle to choose?

S.E.Thomas :

try to keep the rear cover off and watch the pulley. see if it attempts to spin at all or if it just rotates back and fourth. use the regular wash

Customer :

should I start it on the rinse cycle 1, 2 or 3?

S.E.Thomas :

3

Customer :

Ran it thru cycle 3. It did spin both directions. It doesn't seem like it ever gets up to full speed. No water has been expelled and it has finished the cycle. Both the door light and the lock light were on.

Customer :

the belt spins the wheel and the shaft is spinning. Should I be able to see anything else spinning or does that happen just inside and out of eyesight.

Customer :

I'd like to continue with you rather than switch to someone else. Can you please let me know when you are available again?

S.E.Thomas :

hello.

S.E.Thomas :

the first thing i would check is the pump. if the pump is not draining then the washer will not spin. looking in from the rear the pump is in the center under the tub. remove the hoses from the pump and make sure there are no coins in the pump or hoses.

Customer :

Done. no objects in the hoses or pump. There is standing water in the drum.

Customer :

hmmm. so does this mean that we need a new pump? Probably jumping the gun...

Customer :

Next?

Customer :

Would love to hear from you tonight if at all possilbe?

Customer :

ran it through the cycle again. It does empty the water from the rinse cycle, however in spin it doesn't empty any water.

Customer :

And spin doesn't ever get up to full speed...it just sort of lobs along.

Customer :

Is there any way that you can help us solve this issue tonight? We have the laundry room torn apart and are anxious to put it back together.

Customer :

thank you so much for your help so far.

S.E.Thomas :

sorry, i have been getting in late.

S.E.Thomas :

when you run it through the cycle does it ever spin?

S.E.Thomas :

it should spin after the wash and all three rinse cycles.

S.E.Thomas :

if it is not spinning at any of these points then you most likely have a bad motor board or a bad off balance switch. do you happen to have a volt meter?

Customer :

It sounds like you are busy. That is great!

Customer :

It spins but it never gets up to full speed and no water drains during the spin cycle. It did drain after rinse last night when we ran it through from rinse cycle 3.

Customer :

I'll get a volt meter. What should I test with it?

S.E.Thomas :

after it drained it did not spin though correct?

Customer :

it does spin, but very slowly and it does change direction but it never gets up to full speed.

S.E.Thomas :

there is a few off balance switches around the outer tub. you will ned to remove the door and front panel of the washer.

Customer :

okay got it. removing the door and front panel.

Customer :

Can you tell me how to check the off balance switches?

S.E.Thomas :

there will be one directly at the bottom center of the tub. it has two wires on it. you will need to check continuity of that switch across the two terminals. it will read open in one position and closed in the other

Customer :

thank you. we don't have a volt meter so we'll have to check it tomorrow when we have one. Can you tell me where the others are so that I can check all of them?

S.E.Thomas :

there is a tech sheet inside this unit that will explain how this is done.

Customer :

how many are there in total? there seems to be a push button on it - should it be pushed "in" or pulled "out"?

Customer :

oh super. thank you I will look for the tech sheet.

S.E.Thomas :

it should be inside the washer on one side or the other. they should be out and there is 3

S.E.Thomas :

they hide them in a few spots.

S.E.Thomas :

if you cant find it i may be able to send it to you tomorrow.

Customer :

We can't seem to find it. I can go look on the maytag site. Maybe they will have it online.

S.E.Thomas :

no they wont.

S.E.Thomas :

it may be under the top of the dryer

Customer :

We'll check under the dryer top.

Customer :

I'm going to check for the tech sheet tomorrow once I have a volt meter.

Customer :

thanks for your help tonight.

S.E.Thomas :

ok i will bring home my papers tomorrow

S.E.Thomas :

have a good evening

Customer :

have a good day!

Customer :

thanks again

S.E.Thomas :

your welcome

Customer :

We found the tech sheet in the top of the dryer, just like you said! You are so smart! :)

Customer :

I'm around tonight. I'll check back later to see if you had time to log on.

Customer :

thanks again. I am hopeful that with your help we can fix this issue.

S.E.Thomas :

do you see in the tech sheet where it tells you how to test the off balance circuit? also there will be a section that tells you how to test the motor. you will want to follow those steps as well.

Customer :

thank you very very much. We will do that sometime today.

Customer :

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. In checking the continuity on the off balance switch on the right side of the tub we discovered that the wire connector had broken off and wasn't making contact with the switch. Bought a replacement connector and now it works. We still have to work on getting the door seated properly but we are back in business and washing clothes merrily!!! We are very grateful for your help. Thank you so much and Happy New Year!

S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance