S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

I have a 15 year old Maytag washer. It works great, even worked

I have a 15 year old Maytag washer. It works great, even worked yesterday, no problem. Today, the water doesn't fill the tub or even attempt to, but the spin cycle works. I there something I can do to trouble shoot this problem?

Thanks. Sally
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 3 years ago.
hello, welcome to just answer. my name is XXXXX XXXXX and i will be happy to assist you with your problem. this could be a number of different things. Can i please first have your model number so i can tell you what to look for first? the model number will be found under the lid, or on the top rear of the control panel.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The model# XXXXX on the top of the machine; it's LAT8515AAE. If you steer me in the right direction I will be happy to pay a fee...I'm reluctant to give a credit card # XXXXX this point.
You have already gave that info. all you need to do is accept my answer after we solve your problem. the first thing we need to check is the lid switch. you are going to do this by opening and closing the lid. you want to do this slowly and listen real closely. when the lid is about 2 inches up from fully closed you should hear a click and then again when the lid is almost fully open.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We actually did that earlier, but when the lid is open about two inches you hear a click, but I didn't hear it when fully open
what does the washer do when it is set to fill?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Iam having a problem with my computer from home. The washer does nothing when it is supposed to fill, but the spin cycle turns on and the tub spins.
ok then we need to take a closer look at the lid switch if you can not hear the second click. can you please double check the model number as this one is not in the system. you may have one number wrong.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is old...I'm not sure about the first letter as I can barely see it, maybe it is a C, not an L, or maybe nothing..all of the other numbers are correct.
the letters are correct. here is a list of possible numbers.
LAT8500AAL WASHER-TOP LOADING
LAT8500AAW WASHER-TOP LOADING
LAT8500ABL WASHER-TOP LOADING
LAT8500ABW WASHER-TOP LOADING
LAT8504AAE WASHER-TOP LOADING
LAT8504AAL WASHER-TOP LOADING
LAT8504AAM WASHER-TOP LOADING
LAT8506AAE WASHER-TOP LOADING
LAT8506AAM WASHER-TOP LOADING
LAT8506ABE WASHER-TOP LOADING
LAT8520AAL WASHER-TOP LOADING
LAT8520AAW WASHER-TOP LOADING
LAT8520ABL WASHER-TOP LOADING
LAT8520ABW WASHER-TOP LOADING
LAT8520BAL WASHER-TOP LOADING
LAT8520BAW WASHER-TOP LOADING
LAT8520BBL WASHER-TOP LOADING
LAT8520BBW
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't know what to say..this washer was purchased in 1995. The only number I am uncertain about is the first, the L, it is a top loader. This must predate your resources.
my resources go back to 1953. i have every model ever produced in the us. the only way you can have something different is if it is from outside the us.
you are in the us correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes los angeles
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My e-mail is not working well...I will read any response or ideas you have about this tomorrow morning. I see tat you don't work until after 5...but I'm really looking for, can this be an easy fix or do we need to buy something new? Thanks and I will see your response tomorrow.
This should be an easy fix. I am just unsure why you have an odd model number. to check the lid switch, remove the two inside screws of the four found at the top of the control panel. the lid switch can be seen in the center inside. it is a black unit with a fuse on it. you will want to again check for the second click. it is much more faint than the first click. also look at the fuse and make sure the wire center is not burnt out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will check this tonight. I definitely could not hear a second click. I hope that you are right, but it seems crazy that a fuse could work for 15 years and suddently blow out. What I understand is that under the control panel there is a fuse which could be burnt out or a burnt out wire. I don't recall there being any access to the control panel, but I will check tonight. I wont' be home to check until late tonight, but I'll let you know what I find and e-mail you.
as i said on the top of the control panel there are 4 screws, 2 on each side. you want to remove only the inside two. the control panel will then fold down.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Wow...I followed your instructions, got a new fuse and it works. I am so happy and now willing to pay for the advise!! Let me know what I need to do.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just gave my credit card to pay with your excellent help!!
all you need to do is press the accept button. thank you and happy holidays.
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
please do not forget to accept.