John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company

My Kenmore Classic Grille (Model #911.4698819) left and right

My Kenmore Classic Grille (Model #911.4698819) left and right front heating element (top of stove) will operate sometimes. Most of the time I will have to play with it for a while before I can get it to heat up. There seems to be some type of short in the connection.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Check the condition of the electrical contacts on the burner elements to see if there are signs of burning and pitting on them. If you find any, you need to replace both the elements and the ceramic plugs they fit into. If they are in good condition, you'll need to replace the control switches. Please post back to me, if you need parts information.

If my answer helps you, please click on the 'accept' button. That's how we experts are paid for our efforts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I turn the element on I get sparks coming from the cermatic plugs. The elements appear to be not burnt. Do you think I need to just replace the cermatic plugs? What is "pitting."
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Pitting is damage to metal contacts that takes place when electricity arcs from one surface to another. The arcing is hot enough to melt and vaporize the metal. Once the arcing starts, it will continue until the electrical contact between the two surfaces is destroyed. The only way to stop it is to replace both the element(s) and the recepticle(s).
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will need parts infromation for the elements and the recepticle.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
The part number for the terminal block is 3374, and the price is $10.40. The part number for a 6 inch heat element is 23, and the price is $30.85. The part number for an 8 inch element is 30, and the price is $34.60. You can buy the parts at
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do I need to order a total of 2 terminal blocks.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
You need to order one for each element you replace.