Tim Alan
Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service
51145682

I have a Kenmore electric stove that is 10-15 years old, lightly

I have a Kenmore electric stove that is 10-15 years old, lightly used. The oven will not turn off. I have to turn it off at the circuit breaker. The top burners are fine. The minute I turn the circuit breaker back on the oven begins to heat up and in just a few minutes heats up to beyond what my oven thermometer will read. It's like it is constantly in cleaning mode but I've checked the lock handle and it is in place. The red indicator light goes off when I turn the oven dial to 'off' but the oven does not turn off. Please tell me the possibilities. If it may be a fuse, PLEASE tell me where to find it. I need to fix it myself if at all possible. I cannot afford to call a repair person to fix something I can fix myself. It worked fine 2 weeks ago which is the last time I used it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tim Alan replied 3 years ago.

Tim Alan :

Hi my name isXXXXX can help you. Could I please have the model number of your unit.

Tim Alan :

Without knowing what the model number is, it is difficult to tell what exactly the problem is. It could be your selector switch, or the thermostat, or both.

Customer :

Model #911.93451590

Customer :

the Kenmore site shows this model with a sensor but nothing called a thermostat

Customer :

The site also reads that the part is on the diagram but it isn't so I hope the package shows install directions or that you can tell me where it is.

Tim Alan :

WB27K5127 This is the oven control for your unit. The contacts inside the control have welded closed and supply power to your oven continously.

Tim Alan :

replacing the sensor will not fix your problem the control is not shutting off.

Customer :

The price of this part is $275.99!!

Customer :

I'm just going to get a new stove. Any advice?

Tim Alan :

Go with a whirlpool or Maytag. Stay away from GE which is the company that made your range. Frigidaire is ok, I also recommend staying away from self cleaning or not using that feature, they cause more problems then they are worth.

Customer :

What if I decide to go with a gas range? Would you stick with those same manufacturers?

Tim Alan :

Yes they are the best built and best designed on the market. Roper and Crosley are made by them, they are the cheaper off shoots with less bells and whistles.

Customer :

You have been a huge help. Thank you!!

Tim Alan :

Your welcome don't forget to press the accept button and leave a comment, thank you and have a Merry Christmas.

Tim Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Amana, A&E (Whirlpool) ,and Maytag factory service