John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

4 burners not working on frigidaire ceramic top stove. were

Customer Question

4 burners not working on frigidaire ceramic top stove. were all working fine . I needed to fix push button for oven but forgot to shut power. when I pulled out front panel the burner switches shorted to metal frame. I then turned off power fixed oven push button ,put everything back together and turned on power. oven works fine. could I have burned out burner switches when stove shorted out.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

You said you have 220 volts to the switches what about the H1 and H 2 they should also get 220 volts if you don't then the switches are burnt .

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

http://www.partselect.com/PartDetail.aspx?Inventory=1529262&SourceCode=1

Look for number 54 and 54 a in the breakdown its the switches you need if their burnt out.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
At switch I have : line 1-- 120v to ground line 2--120v to ground Hi to H2 no voltage With switch on I have no voltage between line 1 and line 2. Why would shorting out a burner switch burn out the switch. Thanks
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
What about L1 and L2 on the switch not to ground you need 220 volts at both places.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The wire going to L1 on switch has 120v The wire going toL2 on the switch has 120v. reading between L1 and L2 when wires are connected to switch and switch is turned on shows no voltage.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
What about H1 and H 2 with the switch turned on what do you get it should be 220 volts.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
with the switch turned on I do not get any voltage between H1 and H2
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
And you should if your getting 220 volts between L1 and L2 .so if your getting 220 volts at the Ls replace the switches.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
with the switch on I am not getting any voltage between L1 and L2 The wire going to L1 has 120v The wire going to L2 has 120v
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
your saying your getting 120 volts from L1 to where to ground and L2 to ground as well.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Heres the wiring diagram for the model check between L1 and L2 at the switches if your not you blew a breaker try resetting the breaker .

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Line 1 to ground is 120v Line 2 to ground is 120v When Ihook these wires up to switch I do not get a voltage reading between them The voltage comming from panel to stove is 220. the breaker is fine.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
I will have to work on this one I'm calling it a night I will get back to you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have taken off one burner switch. How can I check to see if it is ok. It does not look burnt.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
With the switch set to the om position you can check between the L1 and H 1 and L and H 2 OHM that out if the switch is ok you should get a reading.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The problem was not in the burner switch. the N.O. contact was burnt out.
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

I see thats why no 220 to the switches great job in finding the problem.

Thanks and God Bless.