S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

My dishwasher discharges into a nonworking garbage disposal.

My dishwasher discharges into a nonworking garbage disposal. The disposal drains slowly so the sink fills up with water. last night I turned on the dishwasher and it immediately discharged and dirty black water backed up into the sink. I let it run until it discharged again an the same dirty black water. I then opened the dishwasher door and found dirty black muck in the bottom around the filter.

Can this muck problem be corrected with some sort of cleaning agent or is this a bigger problem?

Model #KUD122XX0 F
appreciate you input.

Tom
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 3 years ago.

S.E.Thomas :

hello, welcome to just answer. my name is XXXXX XXXXX and i will be happy to assist you with your problem. Im not real sure where the black muck came from but it had to be something that was washed in the dish washer. I would suggest you run the dishwasher empty and add a cup of bleach to aid in cleaning the dishwasher out. the next thing you want to do is make sure that the water that is backing up in the sink is not running back into the dishwasher.

S.E.Thomas :

once you run the dishwasher through a complete wash cycle open the door and make sure that the dishwasher does not have water left inside.

Customer :

I usually have to plunge the garbage disposal drain to get he water flowing could this harm the dishwasher?

S.E.Thomas :

It wont really harm the dishwasher but it could force the water back into the dishwasher.

S.E.Thomas :

You should really get that drain fixed so that it all works properly.

Customer :

Can you suggest something other than bleech, we are on septic nd I don't think we'repposed bleech

S.E.Thomas :

If the disposal is no good and you do not plan on replacing it you should remove it and replace the plumbing there. This would most likely cost you less than $30 for the plumbing.

S.E.Thomas :

You ca go and buy dishwasher cleaner but bleach is cheaper and works better.

S.E.Thomas :

bleach will not hurt your septic.

Customer :

I like that idea. Thanks

S.E.Thomas :

your welcome happy holidays!!!!

S.E.Thomas :

Please do not forget to accept!!

S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance