RUSS
RUSS, SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  TECHNICIAN AND TEACHER
19031375

My Emerson microwave model no. MW8119SBM suddenly stopped heating

My Emerson microwave model no. MW8119SBM suddenly stopped heating as I was heating water for tea. The countdown timer kept on working until it hit zero seconds. What is the problem. Thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  RUSS replied 6 years ago.

RUSS :

Hi, this is Russ, I'll be helping you with your problem today. THANKS! There are only a few parts for this unit available.....none that will cause this problem. It is possible that there is a blown fuse or themal fuse that will iinterchange,butthis requires a volt ohm meter to diagnose after removing the cabinet.......also if you take it for service laborrates are in the $80- and hour range now andgiven the cost of new microwaves repair is not a good deal. THANKS

JACUSTOMER-k931bdc1- :

Russ I have a volt ohm meter-what can I do myself to fix the problem?

RUSS :

Like I said the parts available are only door parts,so even if the suspected part is located,getting one will be diffcult. I suspect the thermal fuse on the magnatron.....it s dime size and mabe 1/4 in thisk with only 2 wires REMOVE CABINET AFTER UNPLUGGING AND THE MAGNATRON IS FIST SIZE SILVER IN COLOR WITH COOLING FINS. BE VERY CAREFUL THE CAPACITOR STORES 50k VOLTS AND WILL IF YOU CONTACT IT KNOCK THE ______ OUT OF YOU. iF YOU HAVE HEART PROBLEMS AND YOU DO THIS YOU MAY HAVE CARDIAC ARREST

JACUSTOMER-k931bdc1- :

So my only option is to replace the microwave?

RUSS :

If you are not comfortable doing the above,I am afraid so....the steps outlined are the ony thngs available as a cure and what is done in the shop. THANKS