Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hello - It sounds like there is a ping pong ball in my

Hello -

It sounds like there is a ping pong ball in my JennAir JCD2389GES ice maker. The arm/sensor is also bounding in concert with the noise - which is coming (as far as I can tell) from behind the square cover of the screw mchanism. Still seems to be producing noise, but is quickly dirving me completely crazy.

Samantha
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Hello this is Bryan, most likely what's going on is your module on the icemaker is broken there are two little tabs that hold the gear on the icemaker module there may be one broken,most of the time the cause for this is the heater isn't coming on in releasing the ice, they don't sell the heater assembly for this separately,you can pop the white cover off the front of the icemaker and take a look at the module,give me a few minutes and I'll get you a picture of the module and tell you what to look for, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello -

I am at work right now, but if you send me a picture I can pop the cover and look at it when I get home tonight. I will try to see if the ice maker is actually working. We don't use a lot of ice and I only really started paying attention last night when it became an incessant irritation :) I did notice this morning that there was ice that looked ready to go but was just sitting on the top of the maker and had not dropped into the bin. I'll have a look at that tonight as well.

Thanks!

Samantha

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
This is what the module looks like,you can see in the middle of the big gear to white tabs that's what holds a gear on, check those and make sure one is broken or loose, most likely however either the heater is bad in the icemaker itself or the heater thermostat is bad, which makes it very hard for the machine to push the ice out the heater actually loosens the ice so it runs smoothly, if the module is good you will need to replace the icemaker itself, you can order this online @ http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Ice-Maker-Assembly/915772?modelNumber=JCD2389GES hope this helps well wishes and happy holidays, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hmmm - the two little tabs in the middle of the big, white plastic gear. I'll look at that when I get home.

When I lift the sensor/arm that should turn the ice maker OFF, right? But yet the noise continues - does that make sense with what you are telling me? And does it make sense that this was an intermittent noise previously? How can I turnt the ice maker OFF while I work on the repair?

I am going to wait to accept until I actually get to see the ice maker if you don't mind!

I need to get this fixed before next weekend, but not immediately.

Thanks!

Samantha

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
You can wait to accept if you wish, and yes the sensor should shut the icemaker off but if you're not able to lift it and get it to shut off this tells me the inside of the icemaker has a problem, and it will cause the noise you hear because the motor keeps trying to turn but the gear is not turn in the fingers to release the ice, you will need to replace the icemaker, to work on this always unplug the refrigerator, but from what you're telling me you don't have a choice but to replace the icemaker itself, I gave you a link to order one if you order one today you will have it before next weekend, you used to be a replace individual parts in these icemaker assemblies but that is no longer an option except for replacing the module which in your case will not repair the icemaker, it's just going to break the new module, your ice is sticking because your heater assembly isn't working which either stripped the motor on the module on the tabs are broken or loose but it's just couldn't happen to a new module if you install one in the modules around $84 by itself so you're better off just replacing it and getting it over with, I promise you will need the icemaker replaced, we do a lot of these, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK - I'll check it as soon as I get home and get back to you!

Lifting the arm doesn't stop the noise, but I guess if the whole thing is broken that actually makes sense. Oh, one more thing. If I open the refrigerator door the noise stops - I assume that is becasuse the water supply is off and that ALSO will turn off the ice maker? I just wish there was a way to turn the thing off while I am waiting for parts.

I promise I'll get bck to you tonight. :)

Samantha

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
No problem Samantha, yeah when you open the freezer door the switch usually shuts the icemaker motor off that's why the noise stops, as long as it's coming from the icemaker this noise are you sure it is? When you open the door does the fan stop inside the freezer? Either way if you are unable to shut the icemaker off by lifting the wire arm than the icemaker is bad, I will be around tonight so just get back to me when you get home, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm thinking I'm going to be payign you and ordering a new icemaker part tongiht :)

I'll check on the fan...

Thanks again -

Samantha

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
You're very welcome, have a great day, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello - I am going to accept the answer - it's a lot of good information, but would you believe I think the ice maker is working again? My husband knocked the ice off the maker this morning after I left the house and managed to get the arm to come all the way up and stop the machine - I guess it was blocked somehow before. Anyway - I just pulled a lot of ice out of it and am waiting to see if it will go through a harvest cycle sucessfully. I can hear the water going into the ice maker as I type... Maybe the maker is not broken, it just gets stuck a little more than we thought. If it doesn't cycle tomorrow I'll get adventurous and take off the cover of the module. thanks again!