Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My Kenmore side by side model 106.53232300 s/n sp3854919 stopped

My Kenmore side by side model 106.53232300 s/n sp3854919 stopped cooling.
I adjusted the controls....no change. Unplugged for a while...no change.
The compressor was extremly hot.......unplugged over nite and cleaned, with compressed
air, all the cooling grills and fan, located at the bottom of the unit........sounded like the unit was working, but not cooling, then after appr an hour, all you could hear going was the fan. Once again the compressor felt very hot.........unit now unplugged.
Could this be a lack of freon or some other issue?

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Do you hear any clicking or buzzing coming from the compressor? The best way to tell if this is low on Freon is remove the back panel inside the freezer and check the Frost pattern on the coils, these should be frosted the whole way down the coils, if the coils are only partially frosted you have a Freon leak, let me know what you find, thanks, Bryan

Bryan, there is no frost on any coils, and I hear no clicking or buzzing.

Actually, there is no sound or fan running any more, when the control is turned from off to colder. Just a big white box with lights in it.

Okay how long it's been sitting like that? Is the compressor still hot? Since there's no fan or anything running whatsoever at this point it's most likely stuck in a defrost mode this has a defrost timer that is more or less a clock and it sounds like it's in the defrost mode and not moving out of it this is what the timer looks like,, the timer is number six on this diagram, Okay how long it's been sitting like that? Is the compressor still hot? Since there's no fan or anything running whatsoever at this point it's most likely stuck in a defrost mode this has a defrost timer that is more or less a clock and it sounds like it's in the defrost mode and not moving out of it this is what the timer looks like,, it's in the control panel inside the refrigerator section, take a screwdriver and turn this clockwise, see if the fan starts and you hear the compressor and fans start running, let me know

Bryan,

When I went to look at the defrost control, the fan had started running and the compressor clicks and runs for 10 seconds or so, clicks and stops and in appr a minute, clicks and runs again for 10 seconds or so. I did turn the defrost control a few degrees clockwise.

Okay, you need to replace the compressor relay start device, they sell a replacement kit for this, it comes with different relays because this refrigerator was made by different companies when they were making him, you need to order this kit and follow the instructions on how to replace it, or if you have a local warehouse you can pick one up there, it looks like a lot but you really only going to use at most two pieces out of this kit the relay itself in the overload, you can order this online @ http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Start-Device/1177466?modelNumber=106.53232300 for $53.20, this should take care of it if not your compressor is shot, unfortunately you will need to replace it to see, hope this helps well wishes and happy holidays, thanks, Bryan