Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Washer will only fill on hot and warm (which is the same temp),

Customer Question

Washer will only fill on hot and warm (which is the same temp), but not on cold. When I select cold water, it stops filling completely.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Can you get the model number? You say it's a sofsound, is that the make like Whirlpool Kenmore or is the actual name sofsound?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's an Amana--I guess I fgured you'd know that, since I got to you through an Amana help website. Sorry 'bout that. It says SofSound on the front of it. I'll have to look for the model number.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, the problem is most likely the fill valve has failed, if you can get me the model number I will check the part for you, thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ALW880QAW
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay great, what happens when you put it on hot only? Do you hear a buzz like it's trying to put water in?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hot only works fine. When I put it on cold only, it stops as thought I've turned it off. Kind of a clunk sound. No buzzing.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, you will need to replace the fill valve clunk you here is the valve trying to open so that means it's getting power to it, did you look at the screens in the valve itself??
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When we replaced the hoses, my husband checked them before putting the new hoses back on. We have a well, so there are screens at the faucets which i clean about once a month. So there shouldn't have been any sand in the screens at the valve, I wouldn't think. I told him this morning I thought it was something in the mechanism, not a clog. So the cold side of the valve has gone caput? Where can I get one of these valves? It doesn't look too hard to replace--is it? Or do i need to call a repairman....
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
It's not hard to replace you will need a repair man to this you can order one of these online @ http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Water-Inlet-Valve/916299?modelNumber=ALW880QAW four $36.30, and yes the cold side of the valve has failed, well wishes for a happy holiday season, and thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Did you mean I will NOT need a repairman or that I do need one? Just checking... What is that black hose connected to?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
You will not need one sorry, these are pretty easy to install, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, Bryan. I kinda knew it was something like this, but I didn't know how hard it would be to fix it. Here in CA they charge $75 just to come look at it, plus parts and labor, and I figured it it's something we could do, why not?! Thanks for the help. I appreciate your promptness and the part number. Merry Christmas! Christie
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Yeah you can replace this, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Bryan,
I just wanted to let you know that replacing the intake valve on my washer was a snap; the part I ordered, as you recommended, arrived promptly, was easy to install, and my washer works great! Thanks so much for your help! We'll definitely use Just Answer.com again!
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
You're very welcome great job well wishes for a happy new year thanks, Bryan