Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have an Amana gas range (model AGS746WW, ser# 9602268649).

Customer Question

I have an Amana gas range (model:AGS746WW, ser#(NNN) NNN-NNNN. I have anintermittant problem and sometimes it takes 30 minutes up to 3 hours for the bake feature to work. The igniter glows all the time. When the bake feature works, it reaches the set temperature (say 350 F) , the gas valve will close and the temperature may drop back to 200 F before the oven restarts. The burners and broil feature all work fine. Any suggestions as to what the problem is and how to fix it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Yeah this is a common problem, you will need to replace your oven igniter, what happens is these get weak and don't draw enough amps to open your valve

when replacing this be very careful they are very fragile and break easy, you can get this @ replace it in your oven will be fine, thanks and well wishes, happy holidays, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Where can I find instructions to replace this part myself?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Let me see what I can find for you I'll be back shortly thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay looks like I may have to walk you through it, in the bottom of the oven inside their screws holding the bottom plate on towards the back going straight down through the plate?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Once I remove the guard (see pictures) by removig the 3 philip screws, can I simply "unplug" the igniter or will I need to cut some wiring?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

This igniter the wires need to be cut and spliced with the wire caps that come with the igniter they are ceramic so they don't melt, just cut the two wires and wire the new igniter in, fairly easy the only problem you have doing this is you need to use the old bracket that holds the igniter you need to take it off the old igniter and use it on the new one being very careful not to break the carbon part of the igniter when putting it back together other than that there is nothing special you have to do besides unplugged the oven or shut the breaker off I should say before servicing this, after that the oven should run fine, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It looks like I will be able to do this job. Thanks. I tried ordering the part from your link and they do not ship international to my address in Canada. Do you know where I can get this part in Canada?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I found a Canadian distributor. Thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

I'm not really sure where to find that in Canada there are some sites here that ship to Canada I'm just not sure of the shipping costs,

check this site below. you will need to enter your model number when the site comes up and then get the bake igniter from there, I hope I've been helpful, thanks and happy holidays, Bryan

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
thats great. please don't forget to press accept, thats how I get paid for helping you, thanks and Happy Holidays, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I replaced the part and the oven is now functional. Thank you for help
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
your very welcome , Bryan