Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We have a GE Electric convection built in oven. It is approximately

We have a GE Electric convection built in oven. It is approximately 3 years old. The control panel will not respond. The clock works. Every time we push a button on the control panel, nothing happens. We only get a beep when we hit the start button. I have tried to reset by turning off the power, but no change.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

There is more to this model number, can you get me the rest of the model number?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It is a GE PT956-30" Double wall oven.

Other models listed in the owners manual are

pk916-27" single wall oven

pk956-27 Double wall

pt916-30 single wall

and pt956-30" double wall.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

You control panel has failed, that is the keypad that you push to set the oven, what I would do is go to RadioShack or Lowe's and get some HQ contact cleaner and clean the ribbon between the clock and control panel unplug it spray both the control panel receptacle for it and the one on the clock itself, part number 997 on this diagram,

if that doesn't work you will need to replace the control panel this is expensive $307, hopefully cleaning the contacts on the ribbon takes care of the problem, you can go to the link below, for all the diagrams,

Hope this helps thanks, Bryan

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/GE-Parts/Wall-oven-Parts/Model-PT956WM3WW/0432/0125300?searchedModel= PT956&blt=11

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I remove the panel #1 in the diagram. Can I access from the front or do I need to pull the unit out of the wall to access.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

You should be able to get to this control panel by removing screws either under the control panel when you open the door or possibly on the side of the control panel after a screws there, the diagrams are not too clear on that just make sure you shut the breaker off before attempting any repair, wish I could give you exact procedure but the diagrams just don't show it, thanks Bryan

PS, you shouldn't have to remove the oven but sometimes you do have to pull it out a bit to get at the top if that's where the screws on this panel