Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

The lower wash arm on my Maytag dishwasher (PDB3430AWX) will

Customer Question

The lower wash arm on my Maytag dishwasher (PDB3430AWX) will not spin when the washer operates. I have removed it, inspected and cleaned the arm. I removed the three screws and the housing. The shaft (tower) feels like it has a little bit of a bind/drag on it when I try to spin it by hand. I feel like the lower part of the plastic tower has some stuff in it that needs to be cleaned out. How do I get the inner plastic tower (that spins) out so I can clean it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Start this at the beginning of the cycle let it fill then opened the door and tell me how much water is in the bottom of the machine after it fills, in inches if you can, thanks. Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
About an inch and a quarter at the edge if the center ring/screen. The machine runs and the top arm spins, but not the bottom arm.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

You should have water right up to the heater in this, you're not getting enough water therefore not enough water pressure when is enough water pressure this lifts the arm up so it spins freely, your fill valve needs to be replaced, it's not letting enough water in the allotted time in the fill cycle, these valves can get stuck and not open fully, therefore enough water doesn't come in and won't wash correctly, this is located behind the bottom access panel under the door, you can order this online at

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Water-Inlet-Valve/1678?modelNumber=PDB3430AWX for $28, or pick one up locally if you have a supply house nearby, one other thing to check for ordering this is to make sure your float isn't sticking that's inside the dishwasher make sure it lifts up and down easily, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I rechecked the water level--it is just below the heating element. Can the water inlet valve be disassembled and cleaned?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
No these cannot be taken apart sorry, it would need to be replaced, how far below the heater is the water?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
roughly a quarter of an inch--like I mentioned earlier, there appears to be a slight bind or drag on the arm when I spin it by hand--Is there a way to access the lower part of the plastic post (the "internal" remaining post after the upper tower post/nut and screen ring have been removed) to clean what I assume to be "stuff" on the lower surface of the plastic post that the arm spins on thus causing the drag?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Okay, I'm sending you the diagram of the spray arm assembly so you can take a look and get this apart to see what may be funding this up usually the spray arm just rides on number 22 in the diagram, unless theres something like a piece of plastic wrapped around inside the spray arm tower part number 22 may be missing or broken,

you need to unscrew part number 33 counterclockwise to remove the spray arm assembly hope this helps thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I previously removed #33 but how does part number 39 come off (the diagram is very helpful in describing what I am seeing)? This is where the bind seems to be.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Number 22 should unscrew counterclockwise allowing you to remove number 39, that's how that comes off, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It appears that part number 38 (the split nylon ring) became unseated. I took it out, cleaned all of the surfaces and reinstalled it. Now the arm spins freely.

Thanks for sending the diagram.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
You're very welcome, great job, happy holidays and thank you, Bryan