S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

I have a top load Maytag washer model LAT8405AAE. I had to

I have a top load Maytag washer model LAT8405AAE. I had to replace the motor switch because it had fallen apart, I wired it using just my own ideas. The problem I have is th machine works great until it comes to the spin cycle. The tub drains but it will not spin, the agatator continues to turn but the tub never spins.

What are yur thoughts? I think I have the switch wired wrong but need informtion on how the moter is wired to the switch and how the washer harnees is wired to the switch.

Lee
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 6 years ago.

S.E.Thomas :

hello, welcome to just answer. my name is XXXXX XXXXX and i will be happy to assist you with your problem. If the washer is draining in the spin cycle then the motor is switching directions and working correctly. the problem has to be the transmission. in one direction the brake is locked and lets the agitator run. When switched to the spin cycle the brake is unlocked and the entire transmission assembly spins with the tub. If this is not happening then you have a bad transmission.

Customer :

I had the tub off the transmission when i changed the dampners, could I have reassembled it wrong. What checks can I do to check the transmission?

S.E.Thomas :

the first thing you want to check is the key eay for the brake package

S.E.Thomas :

tilt the washer to the rear and remove the black center cap of the large pulley.

S.E.Thomas :

if you turn the pulley in a clock wise direction it should ride up the shaft and release the brake package

S.E.Thomas :

just as the pulley starts to take tension the key lock should be even distance on both sides from the catch on the pulley

Customer :

The pully does not get tight and the key goes all the way to the stop, it does not stay between the open space.

S.E.Thomas :

then remove the key, turn the pulley till it gets tight and then install the key in the center

S.E.Thomas :

Be careful to not turn the pulley to far. Stop as soon as it starts to take tension.

S.E.Thomas :

Are you still there?

Customer :

yes I took the key out turned the pulley tell it started to get tight then installed the key and put the screw back in but the key wants to go to the stop

Customer :

any idedas

S.E.Thomas :

it has to be put in so that it can not reach the stop when turned to the right.

S.E.Thomas :

if it does oit will continue to not spin. you need to turn it to the right and install the key. it should only hit the stop when turned to the left

Customer :

I figured it out. I removed the pulley and checked the bearing assembly and saw that I mya have installed it upside down. I turned it over and reinstalled the pulley and found the key fit better and it locked the way you explined it should. I would havenever thought of this if you had not got me on track. Thank you and I will now auth. the payment.

S.E.Thomas :

your welcome and have a great holiday