Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

my GE dishwasher is making a loud buzzing sound when I start

my GE dishwasher is making a loud buzzing sound when I start the wash cycle. I looked inside and couldn't see anything jammed. What could it possibly be and what can I do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Is this adding water? At the beginning of the cycle when you hear this buzz is water going into the machine at that time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. it is at the beginning of the cycle when water is going into the machine.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
But water is coming in right? Does it fill and actually start to wash?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it is coming in and it fills and washes. But it makes a very loud buzzing sound.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay so it is washing this tells me there is something in your pump assembly, this probably a piece of plastic down in the sump assembly let me look up some diagrams and see if I can walk you through how to check that I'll be back in a little bit thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Thank you so much. I promise to send a deposit if you help me. Thanks!
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
On this diagram you need to remove part number 506 and then pull part number 508 out, reach down in the hole and feel for anything down inside where the chopper assembly is, it will be towards the front of the sump, be careful it could be broken glass in it see if you can get an mirror and a flashlight and see if you can see down inside, there may be something wrapped around the chopper assembly, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I dont have a manual so I dont Know what part # XXXXX & 508 are and how do I pull 508 out? Do I need to unscrew something?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, I forgot to paste the diagram here you go, this should help you and yes you need to take screws out number 833 on the diagram

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OMG!!!! Thankyou! Thankyou!
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Did you find something? Did you get it out if you did is the noise gone now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. It was a plastic straw and now it runs perfectly!! Thanks!
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
That's great! Good job, please don't forget to press except or I don't get paid for helping you, well wishes and happy holidays thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.