Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have an older Tappan electric range/cooktop. All of the

I have an older Tappan electric range/cooktop. All of the burners work fine except one. It heats as it should until the water is just about to boil. Then it shuts off. I've replaced the heating element, the switch, and the receptacle. What else could it be?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.
do you have a complete model number? Thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
13-3628-23/01
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

This is several light that shows the burner is on?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm not sure I understand the question. The light shows that the burner is on. It heats normally. But if we're boiling something, the burner cools off just before it starts boiling. The light remains on. The other burners work normally.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
You need to replace the receptacle the burner plugs into, how these regular coil burners that plug-in or a wired in? What I mean by coil burners is their metal coil burners correct? It's hard to bring up the parts and diagrams for this old unit
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I already replaced the burner (which plugs in) as well as the receptable and the infinite switch.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
What wattage burner switch (infinite switch) did you put in this? Where did you buy it? Do you know the part number of the switch?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't have that information where I can get to it right now, but the burner works the same as it did before I replaced the switch.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Well, this is a very strange problem, there are different wattage switches for the smaller and the larger burners since you had this problem before you changed the switch it's very difficult to know the reason why this is happening, was it an exact replacement part?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It was not an exact replacement, since they're not made anymore. But again, the problem is the same as it was before I made the change. And the replacement part came from Frigidaire, which bought out Tappan and which assured me that this is the correct part.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay when you can get me the information on the part number I will take a look, I need to see which you used, can you give me that information later today? If so I'll be glad to take a look and see what else it may be, it seems you replaced everything that runs the burner occluding the burner so it leads me to believe the switch may be for the smaller burner and not the large one, I will not have this information until you can get me the part number, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The part number is XXXXX
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Can you resend that with a space between each number? It came through all xxxxxxx, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
5 3 0 3 9 3 5 0 8 6
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Is this the one they sent you? This is a universal switch I understand the original is no longer available but also the switches come in different wattages can you read on the side and tell me how many watts the one that came out of the oven is? Do you still have the old switch?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If I'm reading it correctly, the first line of number is XXXXX it. It says 2 1 0 0 - 2 6 0 0 W
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Was the original one you took out just like the one you put in? Did you buy this range new? I'm wondering if it had the wrong switch in it to begin with, I'm going to check the wattage if I can find the info on this being so old it may be a problem but I'll take a look and see what I can find out, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your persistence in working towards solving this! The replacement was very similar to the original except the prongs for the wire to plug onto were in somewhat different places--but I matched them based on their designation (H 1, e.g.). The range was in the house when we bought it in 1995.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Did it have the plastic parts on it that you use to put the knob on? Basically was it set up the same way or was the knob just on the shaft? Just trying to see whether somebody replaced the switch before, let me know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The new switch had 5 or 6 adaptors that you had to choose from to fit the knob, and you also had to shorten the shaft that the knob fits on to

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Right, did it have the same type of set up on the old switch? Or did the knob fit right on the shaft?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The knob fit on the shaft with one of the adaptors. On the old switch, it didn't need an adaptor.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay so the old switch was an original switch I'm trying to find out the wattage on the switch that's in the range now all the photos I can find of the switch don't show that this may take me a little bit but I can't figure anything besides a switch causing your problem you've replaced the burner you've replaced the receptacle for the burner and you've replaced the switch I doubt it's the burner or the receptacle so that leaves only the switch some of these older ranges need to have an original switch but also the original switch was doing the same thing so it's kind of a conundrum, I'll try to get back to you in an hour or two and see what I can find out, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks very much. I'll be in and out.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, I'll see what I can do, thanks, Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay this is what I found, click this blue link, it appears you have the correct wattage infinite switch installed, http://70.168.42.44/ctr/WD_Ctr_Cat571.html this has to be a wiring issue where any of the connectors burnt at all or loose?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately, all of the connectors looked fine.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Boy it seems everything has been replaced that can cause this problem, you may need a technician to come in and put an amp meter on it and see if it's losing amperage for some reason, unfortunately after doing all this research we are back to square one, I wish I could do more this is a real strange issue, there has to be a power loss somewhere but I think you've done everything you could do to rectify the problem, thanks and well wishes for the upcoming holidays, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.