Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hi, Just purchase the contols for my ice maker on a Whirlpool

Hi, Just purchase the "contols" for my ice maker on a Whirlpool Conquest.
Model GS5SHAXNQ00.
Ice maker had stopped working several months ago, and the only thing I noticed was the control lights for making ice was now flashing red! My wife and I seem to remember the light was at least occationally green? Possibly for when it was full?
Either way, I purchased new electronic controls and installed last night. It's still not working! The controllers seem to be sending and receiving, but no hint of the maker trying to work.
I wondered if because the ice had set in the tray for so long, could it possibly be keeping the dumper mech from being able to start?
I unplugged the fridge thinking the controls might need a reset of some sort, but nothing.
There is obviously no traditional "arm" to tell the system it is full, and to NOT make ice, because this is what the controls do via infared.
Please any suggestions for me would be appreciated. I am just before taking out the maker itself, to thaw out and reinstall, thinking it just needs a clean start?
Thanks a million
Randy Joyce
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Are you talking about the light on the sidewall right side when you open the door?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Bryan,

Yes, not sure if sender or receiver, but yes, on the right side when opening door. When you cut off the freezer light (simulating closing the door) it goes off, but when door is open normally, the red light blinks...

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay try this on the other side there is a flap with a hole in the don't cover the whole with your hand but push that flap in and see if the light stays on steady let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes Bryan, it stays on solid when holding in the flap...
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay the emitter receiver is good do you know if the ice maker is turning? Are the fingers going around? The problem most likely is you have a frozen water line with the water goes into the ice maker there is a tube that drops down through the ceiling of the freezer it's black can you feel that is it frozen as it feels solid?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The arm turning is what I have waited on since installing the new emitter receiver, but nothing yet.

From what you're saying, since its been so long that the ice maker water tube has been NOT flowing, it's most likely frozen? I can see that for sure! There is still ice in the maker from a while back when it stopped working, if you know what I mean?

If ice is in the maker, why would it even be calling for water? You know, until the ice that is in the tray right now is dumped?

BotXXXXX XXXXXne is, the arm has not turned since replacing the control parts...

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
. The ice maker is not running, what I think happened was the ice that's in there now and was never ejected has broken the module in the ice maker, this is very common on this model the problem is knowing what caused that, usually the thermostat that runs the heater in the ice maker fails cause of the gear finger tabs to break you need to remove the ice maker and pop the front white cover off of it, they sell a rebuild kit for this, you can order this at http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/Whirlpool-Parts/Refrigerator-Part s/8201515/0046/106/Model-GS5SHAXNQ00/1198/0165000?keySuffixId=NA&productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=GS5SHAXNQ00&subCompDesc=Icemaker%20parts,%20optional%20parts&brandDesc=WHIRLPOOL&modelDesc=SIDE-BY-SIDE-REFRIGERATOR&blt=11 but before replacing these parts you need to check and make sure the heating element the thermostat that runs it are good, let me know if you think you can do this, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Bryan, you're probably right on your answer. I just looked and the fingers are frozen solid in the middle of the ice currently in the tray.

This all leads me to believe that the emitter was not the problem to begin with. But probably the thermostat or heating element?

Not quite sure how to check those, short of replacing both? I'm not well versed with checking if a particular part is good or not, although I do have a multimeter, but no ohm meter or whatever is used to check continuity and such.

Is there a quick/easy way of checking the thermostat and element? Can we assume if the emitter was working to begin with when the ice stopped making, that one or another of the heating element or thermostat went bad, causing it to simply freeze up and stop working?

Sorry for the follow up question, but this is the first time I have used this service, and simply want to make sure I have covered my bases...

Hope you understand,,,,I will def accept once I hear back, and thank you for your help!

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Yeah at this point it's almost as cheap to replace the ice maker itself to be sure that it will run correctly, you can check the heater and thermostat once you have the ice maker out, popped the front white cover off of the ice maker. And you will see the screws that hold the module on remove those and you will see posts sticking out 2 are for the heater and 2 are for the thermostat, check them right away as soon as you get it out the thermostat must be cold to be tested, test for continuity on both I would recommend though you just replace the ice maker itself, the kit to repair it is $84.84 in a whole new ice maker is around $110.00, it's best to just replace the ice maker at this point, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.