Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE Profile Double Oven model # JK955. Yesterday I

I have a GE Profile Double Oven model # XXXXX
Yesterday I performed a self cleaning of the top oven. The cycle completed and the oven cleaned as expected. Today when I tried to do the same thing on the bottom oven I couldn't get the cycle to start. I kept getting the "locked" alert flashing on the display. But the cleaning cycle never starts, and the oven door doesn't lock. Doesn't sound like it's even trying to lock the door.

I read in the manual that I should disconnect the oven. So I disconnected the oven, waited a couple of minutes and reconnected.

When I reconnect, the time is actually correct (indicating that there is some sort of memory in the oven computer) but the locked message continues to display, flashing, for the bottom oven.

The oven doesn't respond to the keypad at all.

The oven is 7 years old, and I've never had any problems with it.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

Hi this is Bryan, you need to pull the center Grill between the two ovens and check power to the latch motor,if you are receiving power to the latch assembly you need to replace the latch assembly, you can get this @ http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/GE-Parts/Wall-oven-Parts/WB14T10021/0022/364/Model-J K955WF6WW/0432/0125300?keySuffixId=NA&productTypeId=0125300&searchModelNumber=JK955WF6WW&subCompDesc=Door%20lock&brandDesc=GE&modelDesc=ELECTRIC-OVEN&blt=11 if needed or pick one up locally if you have a appliance warehouse nearby, hope this helps, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Bryan,
I took the grill off, played with the latch mechanism and concluded there was power to the unit (could hear the clicking sound to the display when operating the mechanism), so to test the unit, I swapped the suspect lower latch with the upper oven latch mechanism. For some reason, just switching them fixed the problem. Now both the bottom latch and the upper latch work. I may have problems with that now upper latch system in the future, but at least I'll know I need a new one. SO thanks for your help! My wife is not freaking out about Christmas dinner now.
You're very welcome, that's really strange but maybe it was just a loose connection on the plug that caused your problem to begin with, you may not even need a new latch, great work though, I happy wife is a happy life is my saying, happy holidays and thanks Bryan, PS please leave feedback if possible, thanks again