Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Maytag dishwasher MDB3700 doesnt fill with water. Water supply

Customer Question

Maytag dishwasher MDB3700 doesn't fill with water. Water supply is good. Removed inlet valve & tested. It works fine. Float is free & limit switch clicks. I don't ever see any voltage to the limit switch. Don't know what to do next.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

I take it you have a voltmeter? Did you check the float switch for continuity?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, the float switch is closed as it sits there empty, and it opens when I push the arm up as if the float were responding to a tub of water.

I have looked for voltage to the float switch and not seen any even at a time when I believe the machine should be filling.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, if you remove the plug from the fill valve and put your meter on it you don't get any voltage at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That's correct. I have never seen any voltage at the fill valve. It's fed by a blue wire that disappears up into the door.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
The blue wire goes up to the main control board, sounds like your main control board may be bad, did you check the board for Burns on the backside?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No. I haven't looked into the door at all.
Sounds like I should take the front off right now. I'll do that and let you know about burns on the back side...
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Well what I would do is unplug the fill valve and put your meter in the blue wire connector and go to ground on the machine and see if you get 120 V then let me know this may be a neutral problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry. I was away getting into the door. I hate to be stupid, but I don't see anything that could be called a "main board". The wires that come into the bottom of the door all enter a metal box by way of 2 large connectors. That box is perhaps 6" wide, 5" high and 2" deep. It contains a circular control with a shaft that sticks out the front of the door and what must be a small motor. If it has an electronics board in it, that board would have to be pretty small. A sticker says "assembled in Mexico." I haven't tried to open it yet.

About a neutral problem... I have looked for voltage on the blue wire to the float switch both respect to the white wires that I take to be neutral and with respect to the chasis. I haven't seen anything either way. Also, I should mention that other things work. I can hear the main motor running sometimes and hear valves open to empty the machine of water. These things must need a good neutral connection, too.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, you have a regular timer in this unfortunately it didn't come up that way when I looked up the model number this means the timer contacts are bad you will need to replace the timer I will need to do some more research to find why it came up wrong when I first looked this up give me a few minutes and I'll see what I can do thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, Bryan. I'll head down to the parts store in the morning.
John H.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome to have a great evening, thanks Bryan