John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company
22250861

Hello, I have a Jotul GF 300 BV Allagash gas stove that I

I have a Jotul GF 300 BV Allagash gas stove that I have had for 5 years that has worked flawlessly. It is connected to a 750 millivolt thermostat that I got from the dealer. Lately, it has staarted not turning on when the T-stat calls for heat. If I turn it back and engage the T-stat 3 or 4 times slowly, it will usually light, and then it cuts off when the room temperature get hot enought to disengage the thermosat. But then it won't ignite again later without manually turning the T-stat up and down again. Is it the T-stat, the thermopile or some other problem? Please advise.
Thank you,
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Make sure the thermocouple connection at the gas valve is clean and tight. Also check to see if the thermocouple has good contact with the pilot flame, so the output voltage signal is at maximum.

If my answer helps you, please click on the 'accept' button. That's how we experts are paid for our efforts.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, I had already checked those things before I wrote in. Connection is tight and pilot is hitting the thermopile dead-on. Do those thermopiles go bad - stop generating voltage? It would seem that I may not be getting enough voltage through to open the valve. The t-stat is making good contact inside. This has worked perfectly for 5 years - maybe I need a new thermopile?
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Thermocouples do wear out, and need to be replaced. You should be able to find a replacement at any good hardware store, as there's really only one type of 750 m/v thermopile(its real name).
John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience: 25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company