Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Kenmore refer 363.78592896 ice maker has started leaking water

Customer Question

Kenmore refer 363.78592896 ice maker has started leaking water during the ice making mode. When stut off (lever up), it does not leak. Why?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

ok so its just dripping over the side? just a little drip?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is a rather rapid drip. Soaked up a large paper towel in about 3 or 4 mins. I can't tell where the drip is originating. It is close enough to the rear freezer wal that it runs down that mainly.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
So when you turn the icemaker off it stops? Have you got it shut off now? How long have you had it shut off if so? Since then it is not leaked at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, it does not leak when off (bar raised). It has been off since Tuesday. I restarted it twice on Tuesday after drying everything so I could try to see the origin.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay, unfortunately you will need to replace the icemaker it doesn't seem to be a valve problem or it would happen even with the icemaker off if you sure there was absolutely no leaking with the icemaker off you will need to replace it it's overfilling because of the icemaker itself, this is the new replacement icemaker for your unit, this is actually made by GE, Kenmore doesn't make anything they give it out to the lowest bidder anyway here's a link to where you can order the icemaker, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Ice-Maker-Assembly/1399596 hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am pretty mechanical. Have learned a lot in my 71 years. DO you think I can handle this? Are their instructions included with the part?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
You can do this let me see if I can get to the diagrams may be some instructions on how to replace it, give me a few minutes and I'll get back to you shortly
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. I will have to look later. I have to leave for an appointment now. Can get back on tomorrow morning.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
I will try to have all information by the time you get back it should be there on the computer just check it and hopefully I've got all your information for you thank you, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am back. Did you have any luck with the directions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will be gone the rest of they day. Will be home all day Saturday. Hope we can get this done then.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
I'm looking for directions now, I didn't get in until 3 AM this morning give me a little while to get the information for you I'm still trying to wake up actually thanks, Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay it looks like I am going to have to explain this as best I can I can find the video for replacing this, in the picture you see to hook like things on the back of the icemaker looking at that top view they're just behind the fingers, there are two screws that hold the icemaker in that these hooks hang on you need to remove the screws get the icemaker down and then unplug it make sure the power is off to the refrigerator when you do this, sometimes you can just back the screws out far enough to lift the icemaker off of the screws leaving the screws right in the side of the freezer, the new icemaker will come with plugs find plug that matches yours and install in reverse these come with instructions so it shouldn't be hard for you to do, here is a better view of how the icemaker hangs on the screws,you can order this at, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Ice-Maker-Assembly/1399596 , hope this info is useful, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your help. It was straight forward and to the point. I have orderd the new ice maker and will do the repair myself.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
You're very welcome, well wishes for a happy holiday and thanks, Bryan