Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

GE Profile Model 25 side by side refrigerator.....3 years old....I

Customer Question

GE Profile Model 25 side by side refrigerator.....3 years old....I have an RO system input for my ice maker. The is no internal filter as this was removed when the RO system was installed.
Recently the RO tank bladder ruptured. The tank was replaced with a new one. Prior to this the ice maker worked fine. The water pressure at the water dispenser is good.
Since that tank was replaced the icemaker does not work right. It either makes watery ice or no ice. The input line has not changed and the refrigerator is only three years old.
Another thing that seems unrelated that occured recently was the temperature inthe freezer does not stay stable. It will not stay at the preset temp even after reamaining closed for 24 hours. It goes from 0 to about 4 degrees and items in the freezer dont stay frozen solid.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

can you get me the model # ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
PCF25MGWA BB
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
check the back of the freezer inside behind your food, is there frost on the panel? any at all? run your finger down it to feel.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes there is frost and shards of ice fallout when the door is opened. the ice maker is turned off and the container is empty.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok, you have a defrost problem and what happens is the ice maker doesn't cycle if the temp in the freezer is above 0-8 degrees, what you need to do is remove the rear panel and take a hair dryer and defrost all the frost on the coils, then put it back together, do you have a volt meter and know how to check continuity?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This will take a few minutes . I do have a volt meter.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok, let me know when you get the back panel off before you defrost it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The back panel? I removed the lower cardboard panel....does the metal back come off too?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
no just the panel inside the freezer. #213 on this diagram,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm confused....I removed he panel at the bottom onthe rear of the unit. By backpanel what part of the unit is it?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
you need to remove the panel inside , the one you said had frost on it, inside the freezer section.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Stand by..................
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
sure
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was able to get the panel out enough to see behindit with ahving to remove the tray rails. Now what? and what's the volt meter for?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok is there a lot of frost on the coils? really clogged up?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I removed the panel and there was ice on the coils. I melted a lot off with hair dryer.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok well the thermostat on the top of the coils needs to be checked for continuity when its cold , so what you need to do at this point is let it get cold at least at the top where the thermostat sits and then test the thermostat for continuity, the thermostat is # XXXXX on the diagram, the other thing you can check and that doesn't have to be cold is the defrost heater at the bottom of the coils, unplug the refrigerator and the heater and test it for continuity, both those parts should have continuity.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was not able to check continuity because my vm battery is dead. I am reassembling everthing and will see if that does the trick.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

that will work for now but it may happen again , not sure, well wishes and thanks Bryan.

P.S this will take probably at least 12 hours to get back to temp and stabilize, be patient

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay, Bryan...thanks for your help............
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Your very welcome, Good job, Have a very Happy Holiday , Thanks Bryan