Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I rented an apartment and the washing machine does not work,

I rented an apartment and the washing machine does not work, it is an RCA top loader, looks to be five or so years old. Anyway the agitator does not work, at all, it just sits. I took the panel off and checked the belt, looks good, further inspection shows the motor works fine but the actual pully that the belt sits on, like a car fan, just does not lock in, i.e. the belt is not turning the actual agitator. The bolt that attaches the pulley is spinning great but once again the pulley/belt just sits there idle. Could a locking type of connection be broken? Like a lock pin or cotter pin????
I rented this apartment and I do not know the serila number or the model number, it is as I said a "Heavy Duty" RCA...

Thanks

Nick
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is Chas, I am hoping that I will be able to help you with your problem today..

Does the pulley look something like this one?

graphic.

WARNING, if you use the OPT OUT button on the tool bar, this will bar me from answering back to you. once pressed I cannot answer anymore of your questions...Use this button with caution...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Chas,

I was working on it yesterday afternoon, terrible grease, took me hours to get my hands clean, my point is I cannot go back and look, but from what I remember, the actual pully on the motor is very small and then the belt goes to a pulley on the agitator that looks like the one you are describing. The pully on the motor is approx. 4" in diameter, the other pully is approx. 8" to 12" in diameter. Hope that helps..

Expert:  Chas replied 3 years ago.
IT is hard to tell, because RCA was made by several MFG, HOwever did this one have only one belt on it that also connected to the water pump? Or did it have 2 separate belts on it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One belt

Nick

Expert:  Chas replied 3 years ago.
DOes it go around 3 pulleys on the machine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nope, just two, the small pully on the end of the motor and the larger pully on the agitator.

Expert:  Chas replied 3 years ago.
IS the belt under the machine or did you have to remove the front of the washer to see it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I removed the front of the washer and I could see the electrical motor and part of the belt but decided to pull the bottom off to get a better look. So to answer you I took the front off and I could see the pulley/belt/motor but not all that good to see the agitator, so then I pulled off the bottom. It is one belt.

Expert:  Chas replied 3 years ago.
I am stumped, I am going to opt out and see if any other expert can help you.. SOrry about that

Edited by Chas on 12/6/2010 at 11:30 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wish I were more helpful Chas...

Nick

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

can you get me the model # ? I will try to help, need to pull up your model. thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cannot find the model or serial number, at least I did not see it and I had the machine apart. Any idea where the model number would be located?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

click this link it shows you where to check , just click on find my model # XXXXX to search. http://www.repairclinic.com/Repair-Help

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I found it:

Brand: RCA

Model #: YBXR1060V1WW

Serial #: FT112240T

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok , great this is made by G.E. and you will need to replace the agitator drive bell. very cheap to do and these strip so thats the issue for sure, you need to reach down and pull the agitator off, be care not to hit yourself in the mouth, sometimes these don't come off easy, but it will. then there just a bolt to remove, you can order this @ http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Drive-Block-or-Bell/1195917?modelNumber=YBXR1060V1WW for $6.65 thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I pulled it, I punched it, I yanked it, I knocked it back and forth and it will not budge!!! The only thing I did not do is pry it but I think the plastic fins may break, any suggestions?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
not really they do come off however. we sometimes have to use an agitaimer but thats a special tool that techs carry. heres the diagram, you can pull the top off but i don't believe there a bolt holding the agitator just the drive block, I told you these can be very hard to get off, they can be a real pain,
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry Bryan, I spent an hour trying to get that off, no luck, without a special tool it is doubtful it will come off, however with that said, I just looked it over one more time, when I power it up the motor runs good, it is spinning great but tyhe small pulley is not letting the belt turn it, you can turn the belt slightly by hand. I think the problem is in the end of motor nut and the pulley itself??? How is the pulley attached to the motor? The small pulley not the washer larger pulley? Somehow I think the cotter pin or whatever they use to atach the motor/pulley together is broken or faulty.

N

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
this pulley is attached at the factory and you cant take that off, your talking about the gold pulley at the bottom of the motor in this picture correct? or does the pulley look more like this? which is actually the clutch assembly on some models.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is the gold pulley at the bottom of the motor.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
they don't sell that separately, the transmission is the issue or you need to replace the belt. sometimes these belts will slip in one direction and not the other would change the belt and see if it works. you can order the belt @ http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Belt-Drive/3481?modelNumber=YBXR1060V1WW for $8.25 , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again Bryan, sorry this is taking so long, I realize your time is pretty valuable, but I have to make a decision, kill this machine and go buy another or get it fixed. The fixing requires a "Let's try this and see if it works" type of problem.. anyway two more things.. a. the motor is turning in one dorection, the belt of course is not turning at all i.e. the pully is not turning, and number two, how do you get this belt off?

Nick

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
there are nuts on the bottom of the washer holding the motor under the motor plate, these are somewhat difficult to repair , and if it turns out to be the transmission its not worth it, thanks, Bryan