Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

GE oven wont pre-heat or heat up. Broiler works, stovetop

Customer Question

GE oven won't pre-heat or heat up. Broiler works, stovetop burners work, timers. etc. work, just no pre-heat.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Hi my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem.

Is this gas or electric?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is a gas unit
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok the problem here is the igniter. Take the floor of the oven out and the flame spreader. Then set the oven for 350f and check to see if the igniter glows.

if the igniter does not glow then check it with an ohms meter, if it reads open it should replaced. If the igniter does glow then it's still going to be bad. A good igniter will glow bright yellow to the point where you cant look at it. If the igniter glows yellow/orange it's bad and will need to be replaced.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. If you have no further questions please don't forget to hit the accept button since this is how I get paid for my time and effort. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i took the bottom off from inside the oven. i am not sure what the ignitor looks like. i set the oven to 350 and nothin is glowing.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
The igniter is in the rear mounted to the burn pipe. It will look like this.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok i see that. i set oven to 350 it did not glow at all. do you have instructions on how to replace and where i could get an ignitor
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
You can get an igniter by taking the old one to a local parts supplier for the replacement.

To replace the old one simply take the screw out at the front holding the burn tube in place. Then take the drawer out and where the burn tube sits above the valve remove the 2 screws holding the burn tube in place. Disconnect the igniter from the wire harness and pull the burn tube out. You will now have access to the 2 screws holding the igniter in place and will be able to replace it.