Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Sub-Zero Refrigerator, Model 650/S 2, Serial No. M2307869 Refrigerator

Sub-Zero Refrigerator, Model 650/S 2, Serial No. M2307869 Refrigerator will not make ice cubes I have been having trouble with the slightly tapered plastic cylinder that is attached at both ends by a heavy wire above the ice in the ice cube tray in the upper left corner of the bottom drawer freezer. The front end of the wire gets unattached and then the plastic cylinder and the wire get pushed in strange configurations when the freezer drawer is closed. This can result in water in the freezer on top of the frozen food. On July 8, 2010, we had a repair-man (Oscar) out from an authorized Sub-Zero repair company (Sterling Service Group, Lake Zurich, IL, XXX-XXX-XXXX). He fixed the problem, but the plastic cylinder and the heavy wire never seemed to work quite right. Eventually, this ice-cube-level detecting mechanism got jammed up again and I had to turn the ice-cube maker off. I went in and put plastic cylinder and the wire the back in place. This worked for a while, then the ice-cube-level detecting mechanism jammed up again. I pushed it up out of the way for a while and turned the ice-cube maker on and off as we needed ice. Now this no longer works, so I unloaded the freezer again, took out the freezer drawer, and put the ice-cube-level detecting mechanism back in its proper place as best as I could tell. However, the ice making operation can still not be started. My questions are (1) how can I be sure I put the ice-cube-level detecting mechanism in back correctly and (2) how can I get the ice-cube maker to start up again.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

does your ice maker look like this?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bryan,

I do not see any photo or picture of anything. I do see your photo up in the corner to the left. I am using Safari on a new iMac.

Ralph
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
sorry,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The ice maker does not look like this unless you are showing me a top view. I can only see it from the bottom and the side. Also, the plastic bar/cylinder is not open in the middle. It extends out from the wire with the part that rests on top of the ice looking like a hammock with white plastic extending at either end up to the wire. I will try to add to photos to this message.

Can not add photos. How can I send photos to you if you need them?

By the way, in the emails I get from JustAnswer, the links are not right. I cannot use them.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
that is a top view , to send me a picture you need to click on the little tree next to the you tube on the top bar, does the ice maker move at all? have you seen it turn?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not see the little tree or the you tube on the top bar. Could I see it and not know it? When I unload the freezer, I cut the power to the refrigerator. As a result, I have never seen anything move. From one of the photos I took, it looks like ice might be made on the top side of the bottom side I can see when I take everything out and get into the freezer. When I put things back and turn on the refrigerator, I cannot see it at all. However, I have heard the noise that the ice cube maker makes and I am not hearing that at all now.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok, the ice maker needs to be replaced, I'll take a look and see if I can find diagrams and take a look to see if I can find a part #. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.