Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I am working on a GE dryer mod# DNCD450EA0WC. On the cotton

I am working on a GE dryer mod# XXXXX On the "cotton" and "mixed load" settings (both of which turn on high heat), it will run for about 1 minute and then go into the cool down mode which runs for 5 minutes (no heat) and then turns off. The other settings work fine, but they do not give high heat. Here is the strange part... I replaced the main control and the inlet control thermostat and it still does it. Also, I ran it with the heater unplugged, so no heat was applied and it still did the same thing. That would lead me to believe the thermostats are not the issue. There are 3 thermostats, a high limit cutoff and a thermistor.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

does the whole dryer shut down?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
At the end of the 5 minute cool down, yes. But it is supposed to do that. The problem is it shouldnt go into the cool down mode after running only 1 minute of its 46 minute high heat cycle.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok do you know the part #s of the ones you replaced?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
board - we4m296, inlet control therm - we4m0181
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok found the board, is this it? can you tell me which thermostat on this diagram you replaced? or was it on the blower assembly?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
506... I did jump 505 and got the same result. But remember, it will do the same thing when the heater is unplugged... so I don't know if it would be a thermostat issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll be back in about 30 min... Thanks!
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
yeah this is a strange problem, you replaced the control so thats not the issue, what I believe is going on is the thermistor is tell the control its dry and it advances to the end of cycle when the thermistor signals its dry, theres not much more that can cause this problem, did it do the same thing before you changed the board?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, same thing.

That sounds reasonable... I just wonder why it will run fine on medium and low heat cycles.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
the board picks up a signal from the other thermostats for those cycles, theres just not anything else, unless you received a bad board. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have ordered the thermistor... will let you know the outcome. I think you are right though... about 3 days for part. Thanks again
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
your welcome, thanks Bryan