Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE Spectra range that is about 8 years old. in the

I have a GE Spectra range that is about 8 years old. in the last few days the oven is taking a long time to heat and it took about twice the time it should have to cook the cookies. Is it the element or the thermostat or something else?

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

is this gas or electric? there should be a model # XXXXX the drawer at the bottom, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is an electric range. The number is XXXXX
is the bake element getting red?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I hadn't noticed, so I've just cranked up the oven to see. They cycle on and off don't they?
yes but when it preheats it should stay red for a while until it reaches temp.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have it set for 435 and it still isn't red.
is the broil heating up for preheat? can you feel heat from the top inside?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. It does seem warm. So I was broiling my cookies? LOL
actually yes, if the bake element isn't getting hot you need to replace it, what happening is the broil and bake come on for preheat and after its preheated the bake element takes over, its bad. you need to replace it, to do this unplug the range and take the two screws out in the back of the oven holding this in, slide the element out toward you making sure you don't get the wire connectors caught and pull them off until you get the element out enough to unplug them, heres a link to the part, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can I buy a replacement element someplace like Lowes or do I need to track down an appliance repair supplier? Thank you
well you can order this from the above link or a local supply house would have this, its a common part, the part # XXXXX WB44T10010, Sears may have this locally or can get you one. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your help. As a single mom, I try to do as much as I can to repair stuff. Now to find a strong back to move the stove. :) Have a good holiday!
your welcome . well wishes and Happy Holidays.thanks Bryan