Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

We have a Maytag gas oven, CRG501 from about 1988. It has worked

We have a Maytag gas oven, CRG501 from about 1988. It has worked like a charm. Until recently. There is a lengthy delay (maybe 5 minutes) between when we turn the oven dial from off to 400 degrees. During that time, we can see a small amount of orange light near the bottom/back in the broiler area, and we get a bit of natural gas smell in the kitchen. Finally, we hear the sound and the ignite. I'm not sure if the pre-heat period takes any longer than normal from the ignition point, but it seems slow, too. Once the oven is pre-heated, everything behaves normally and the thermostat control seems fine, too.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

your igniter is failing, this will need to be replaced, you can order this @ ,its located under the bottom floor inside the oven, 2 screws and it plugs right in, this will fix the issue, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'm good with a screwdriver, and plugging things in and sometimes even MORE technical stuff than that. ha!

Am I correct that you are saying this is an okay part replacement for me to make, even though I'm not a trained Maytag repairman??

sure this isn't a bad job, just unplug the range first, these are delicate however so don't bump it on anything while replacing, pretty easy job actually. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Repair not successful. The modular female piece in the oven that plugs into the replacement part is melted. The male end on the igniter was melted even worse.

Okay you will need to cut the wires in wire nut them together, this is the only way to fix this at this point did the igniter, with the ceramic wire nuts?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, the new igniter did not come with ceramic wire nuts. There also wasn't a fireproof fabric-like sleeve covering the wires between the ceramic block and the plastic modular end. They all end up covered with a sheet metal box once all the parts are put back into place, but we wondered if it would be safe without the additional fireproof covering. It was impossible to re-use the original fireproof covering.
That depends on, if you go to Lowes you can buy the ceramic wire nuts and use those, they are made for high heat, if you cut the wires strip them back and use the ceramic wire nuts this will be fine, the wiring itself has special wire covering which is heatproof, just go to Lowes and tell them you need ceramic wire nuts withstand the heat of an oven, that will take care of it, thanks and well wishes Bryan