Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My frigidaire dishwasher sounds like it is trying to drain

Customer Question

My frigidaire dishwasher sounds like it is trying to drain some water from the bottom OR pull water from the tap (it's a portable) ... the problem is the sound is like a dying cat or squeaky, struggling pump.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

can you get us the model #?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The model number is XXXXX
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
the drain pump impeller is stripped, this is the pump assembly # XXXXX on this diagram, it will need to be replaced, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bryan, those diagrams allowed me to get to the part you are referring to. It's actually in perfect shape, to test I allowed it to run for 2-3 seconds without replacing the parts I removed. (As it looked like those parts just spin the washing arm and a small blade like piece to cut up food chunks perhaps.)

I did happen to remove several pieces of hair and stringy stuff that almost looked like mop strings or cloth bits. Interestingly, when I ran it after removing these (and putting the parts back) it DID manage to drain most the water but was still making those sounds nearly as bad as before.

So my dishwasher is open to part #36 in the diagram. It sounds like the issue is below that point. Might there be something under there I can look at?

Thanks, Dylan
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
well thats not good then, the only thing below that is the motor itself besides the seal which wouldn't cause that noise. theres nothing short of replacing the motor at that point, there is a cooling fan blade on the motor and that could be warped but it part of the motor and not replaceable. sorry. thats about all there is. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bryan,

I'm going to accept your answer, at least I know exactly what I'm in for now. If you weren't so far I'd gladly bring my dishwasher to you to install a new one.

I assume this is the right part?
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/part_details.aspx?part_id=3885612

Hopefully it won't be too expensive to have installed. Beyond $200 and I'll be half way to a new dishwasher. :-(

Thanks, Dylan
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX you well and happy holidays, and yes thats the part. thanks Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bryan, and anyone else looking at this thread. I flipped over the dishwasher and pulled the engine off to satisfy my curiousity. Bryan was almost exactly right, it is a problem with the plastic fan that cools the motor.<br /><br />In the diagram Bryan shared this is the very topmost circular part and it slides over that metal shaft that goes up into the dishwasher.<br /><br />The circular fan part is not warped and spins on the shaft without problem. The real issue is that straight up the center of that part is a long plastic "sleeve" that slides down over that long skinny shaft. This sleeve part must have got jammed from above and the engine just kept trying to spin rotating the fan, including this long sleeve that is connected to the fan; Unfortunately, this twisting with the upper shaft likely stuck caused the plastic where the shaft and fan meet to <em>break and melt</em> due to the friction and torque. So it is now disconnected from the the center of the circular fan part where it snapped.<br /><br />This is hugely frustrating because I suspect a factory somewhere could make this plastic part for 50 cents and charge me $20 for it. But instead, as Bryan says it looks like I need a "whole new motor" over a stupid plastic part that can slide right on if I had a replacement.<br /><br />Bryan, I'd gladly buy this part should you come across it. I'd love to find a person who had a shot motor but an unbroken motor fan.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
I can do some more research for you tomorrow, I will be around today have to drive to Baltimore on eight hour trip each way get back until around five in the morning, if you can wait till then does research tomorrow afternoon, I will need to get some rest when I get back for a come back on, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No rush, if you happen to figure something out, great. Otherwise no big deal. If it is the cost of a complete engine (in Canada they are overpriced) and labor to fix it, I'd almost be better off buying a new dishwasher. Unfortunately the portables in a 19" or less format cost at least $500 + tax.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Hi this is Bryan, I got in at 3 AM this morning, and am working today, it may take me a while to get your info if I can, trying to wake up and Motivated thanks, XXXXX XXXXX little later, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bryan, no worries. I'll hang in a bit longer in the hopes of finding an alternative to replacement. If you can't find anything I'll make a couple calls to parts dealers out here. If that fails, I guess I'll be getting a dishwasher for Christmas. :P
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry very tired the last few days, unfortunately the only way to replace that fan piece is with the new motor assembly, we can try the places you want to try and see if you can find one other than that a new dishwasher for Christmas is probably the option that's best. Wish I could do more for you, Merry Christmas and a happy new year, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX your help.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome, I wish I could do more thanks and happy holidays again, Bryan