S.E.Thomas
S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance
23707800

I took your advice and bought a new timer. The washer still

I took your advice and bought a new timer. The washer still won't fill up with water. I'm out the $90 for the timer and the $28 to you and my washer still won't work. What now?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  S.E.Thomas replied 3 years ago.

S.E.Thomas :

hello, welcome to just answer. my name is XXXXX XXXXX and i will be happy to assist you with your problem. Im not sure who you worked with but did you guys do any testing to find the problem?

S.E.Thomas :

Hello? Are you there?

Customer :

No. Everyone we talked to (including your guy) said it sounded like the timer, so that's what we tried.

S.E.Thomas :

LOL Not my guy!!! We are all individual people who work from home. Anyway i would have you tested some things to find the problem for sure. Lets start by you telling me what the washer will and will not do?

Customer :

it does everything except fill with water

S.E.Thomas :

So it will spin but nothing else?

Customer :

yes

S.E.Thomas :

You have tried it on hot and cold i would guess correct?

Customer :

only cold, have not tried hot

S.E.Thomas :

can you please see if it will fill on the hot setting?

Customer :

ok checking now

S.E.Thomas :

ok

Customer :

does not work on hot either

S.E.Thomas :

then you have one of two things bad here. this would be either the temp selector switch or the electronic temp control. my guess would first be the electronic control. this is more common than the switch. I would first make sure that the plug is on tight. remove the plug from the board and plug it back in and try it again. Just to be sure that it is making good contact.

S.E.Thomas :

Looking at the control panel is the temp knob the furthest to the left? Its hard to tell in my pics.

Customer :

yes it is

S.E.Thomas :

Just making sure.

S.E.Thomas :

Make sure that the plug on it is tight

Customer :

when i replaced the timer i checked all plugs for the selector knobs

S.E.Thomas :

Do you have a volt meter?

S.E.Thomas :

Well if you already replaced the timer and the connections are good then that has to be your problem.

Customer :

i have a dvom at work i can bring it home, what values should i be looking for

S.E.Thomas :

120 volts to the selector switch with the washer set to fill and turned on.

S.E.Thomas :

if you have power to the switch but it is not filling then it is not sending power back to the valves.

S.E.Thomas :

this is at www.appliancepartspros.com

Customer :

does it matter that the part is whirlpool and we have a maytag

S.E.Thomas :

maytag is whirlpool.

S.E.Thomas :

they were bought out 5 years ago. you have a whirlpool washer with maytags name on it

Customer :

i just figured that out after i sent it

Customer :

ill try it tomorrow and hopefully i can get it figured out

S.E.Thomas :

feel free to return to this question if you need further assistance.

Customer :

ok thanks for the info

S.E.Thomas :

Happy holidays!

Customer :

same to you

S.E.Thomas :

Your welcome

Customer :

Hope you don't mind if I check out the information prior to paying you. I'm already out $118 for these repairs and this washer is less than 1 year old. I will get back to you whether you are right or wrong, I promise. I will pay you if you are right, and I will let you take a 2nd crack at it if you're wrong. Either way, you will get paid. ok?

Customer :

Turns out you were correct. Sorry I was not very trusting, but like I said before, the first technician was of no help and just cost me money. Thank you for your patience.

S.E.Thomas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 16 yrs in the field and current owner of S.E.Thomas appliance