Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

hello, i have a ge front loading washer that is not progressing

Customer Question

hello,

i have a ge front loading washer that is not progressing through the wash cycle. i looked in the drain to see if I had a clog and it looks like my glasses were washed and have come apart in the wash. I need to know how to unlock the front dorr so I can get into the drum to see what is going on.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name isXXXXX will be helping you with your appliance issue today.

ok its definitely a drain clog,without a model # XXXXX'm flying blind though bare with me. does it look like there a panel under the door? does the front look like two pieces or all one piece?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

under the door and one piece. I unscrewed the plug and pulled out a lens to my glasses. Is the fact that the door is still locked becuse there is water in the washer still?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
yes thats why its not unlocking, the pump probably has the rest of your glasses wrapped around the pump impeller. which plug did you unscrew? the pump trap? in the front?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes the pump is right of that. I can open it up.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

ok when you took the trap out no water came out?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes about a quart

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

ok, this is not good it means the rest of your glasses are stuck in the drain from the tub to the pump.is there an access panel in the back of the machine?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

better there than the impeller. Ok I see the drain hose and can remove it. How much water can I expect to come out?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
thats the problem there will be quite a bit, may two or three gallons. get lots of towels, if you pull the hose off the tub and the pump you will probably find the clog, the problem is if you take it off the tub sometimes these are difficult to get back on, try taking it off the pump side only first , if you cant get whatever is in it out you will need to remove it from the tub.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I am off to give it a try thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
well wishes and thanks, Bryan